oh no-which thermometer would you trust?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Apr 6, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have the cheapy thermometer -the mercury kind-that came with my hovabator 1602N that says its 110+ and then I have an expensive one that tells me humidity which is at 49% -the time of day-which doesnt matter-and the temperature which it says 100.2-5 all the time. The temp on that has been steady for the past 3 days-I never really payed attention to the cheapy one until this am..they were both in the same spot laying partly on there sides next to the turner-Im on day 6 now-

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    you should probaly keep the thermometers right on top of the eggs to get a more accurate reading. i would trust the one that hovers around 100.2-100.5 because to me i'd bet it's more accurate. the thermometer i got with my hova-bator is fairly accurate, i guess it all depends on the individual thermometer..

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    well I never trust none of the thermometers that come from with the bators so I just go buy a springfield one

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I tried answering this a few minutes ago but my post seems to have gotten lost. This may wind up a double post.

My suggestion is to go to Walmart, Lowes, wherever and look at their cheapie thermometers. Select one that reads about the average temperature that the others are showing. Don't be surprised to see some way out. This will tell you which ones not to choose. Take the one you chose home and check out the incubator temperature. This does not mean that the thermometer you chose is accurate at the incubator temperature, but I'd have more confidence in this one than either you now have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by