1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh no!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Sep 18, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My hopes for a black bantam silky runner have been dashed!

I just found this article by Chris Ashton at http://www.smallholder.co.uk/poultry/1103049.bantams_can_make_good_pets/

She
    wrote, "In theory, any large breed such as the Aylesbury, Rouen, Orpington or Pekin duck could be made in a smaller version. In fact, with the very distinctively shaped breeds it would be difficult. It can only really be done where the bantamized version aimed for has an average duck shape - no extreme keel or blocky body and no upright carriage. In the 1950s, bantam runners did seem to be a possibility but unfortunately disappeared from the news. It does seem to need the genes of the little Call duck to bring size down - and that sort of cross-breed would not keep the shape of the runner. It would be a very long route to achieve the 'bantam runner' goal."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh rainplace I am so sorry! I know you really wanted some black ones [​IMG]

But.... more ducklings for me [​IMG]

But I am really sad that you skipped across that article. Hey, maybe you can be an amazing master mind and come up with a blck silky [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hmmm... I don't know. I think you should try anyway. You could start by selecting for small size among Runners, then do crosses for the silkie gene. Once you've got the mix you need, then begin selecting again for the Runner shape. And, of course, select specimens in each generation that have the strongest Runner shape.

You might end up with a duck that has a lower carriage than your standard show-quality Runner, but still has a recognizable Runner character.

Besides, any "new" breed requires many generations, and often many breeders, to perfect. You start with a basic premise, get it "close enough," and then if others get excited about it, they can help develop the desired traits too.

Just because someone else hasn't already done it doesn't mean *you* can't do it. It just means no one's tried hard enough for long enough yet. [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. Forgive me if I should know who Chris Ashton is, but the other thing is--just because someone wrote a book doesn't make them the definitive expert. Even if Dave Holderread himself says something, it's still just one person's understanding. [​IMG]

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Black silkys already exist check out the fine picture on the Holderread's website. What do not exist are tiny runners of any pattern.

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I've sent you a PM, but ...,

i do have a relatively tiny blue Runner from one of the BYC members. I'm not sure if she's a fluke or not (we call her 'Lil Blue'), but maybe I/we need to mix her with one of our Black Silkies and just see what comes of it. She's not as 'upright' as the Holderread Runners, but she's definitely more so than the average duck.

(Dang it, my ducks are making quite a quacking noise outside [AND IT'S DARK OUT!] so I'm off to check on everyone's safety).

7. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    p.s. I'm with "Iamcurositycat"! [​IMG]

8. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    P.P.S. -- Let's face it - a Silky 'standard-sized' Runner, would be pretty cool. GEEZ, am I the only person on this whole forum that can't get her thoughts all in one post?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  9. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    GEEZ, am I the only person on this whole forum that can't get her thoughts all in one post?

You're not even the only person in this THREAD who can't get her thoughts all in one post! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Lorraine sent me a great pm, and perked my interest up a bit, yes she did!

It looks like I have a couple different breeding programs that will be separate for a while.

Yes the black silky exists it's just not an accepted standard. I love black ducks, and I love the silky in particular. My son and I will be breeding these and showing them in 4H next year. He and I want to try for more silky feathering down the line while keeping the black. I'm getting some BEIs this fall so that I have stock I can breed back into the silkies if we lose some coloring.

I also love the black runners, and think it would be cool to make them smaller. I have several ideas, thanks to Lorraine, on how to do that.

Getting the silky into the runners could be the hard part... well it may be the easy part, I dunno. I like the idea of seeing what would happen with Lorraine's small runner. It's two generations to have the silky feathering show up. It would be nice to see what's happening before I get there.

I guess what the article did was open my eyes to the fact that it's not as easy as I first anticipated. Which is good, makes me plan better. It also gives me something to do for longer. I'm so new to all of this so every bit of info I unearth is good, even if it's not what I want to hear.

For some reason I get emotionally invested in projects. So I tend to ride a roller coaster through most of my endeavors [​IMG] Yesterday it looked hopeless, but by this morning I was brimming with new ideas!

I still wonder how the shotgun method would work in a pen of black silkies/black runners for 4 or 5 generations. Maybe I ought to do that also [​IMG]

As far as Chris Ashton. I would read her's and her husband's book, "The Domestic Duck." Fantastic book and well worth the read. I was going to make a separate post on their book.

I need more land... seriously

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by