Oh No!!!

sm070468k

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Help my chicks are hatching - I'm hatching chicks the natural way using mamma hen and the eggs started hatching this morning. From what I can see mamma hen seems to be mushing them then tossing them out of the next. What should I do? I already have 1 dead pancake looking chick.
sad.png

Thank You!

If she's hurting them intentionally....take them away from her!! Is this her first time?? If so, she may not know exactly what to do.

I would take them away from her. Do you have a bator that you could put them in? If so and the others are not hatching this would give you some time to get the bator warmed up. How old is momma??

Mamma is about 2.5 years old and this I believe is her 2nd time hatching out eggs. I bought her last spring at one year old and was told that she had already hatched eggs. I haven't seen any new chicks and I read that its bad to remove mom when the checks are hatching. No I do not have a brooder...just the hens.

If you don't remove the chicks....she may kill them all....and she may not. It all depends on the hen & her reason for doing this. It is not "bad" to remove them. What would be bad is letting her kill them. This will have to be your choice.

You can put the chicks in anything, a laundry basket lined with paper towels, whatever...and a light for heat. The yet unhatched eggs....you may have to grab the chicks immediately after hatching.

Thank You. I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on her. Is it possible to pull the chicks as they hatch then after they all hatch try putting them back in with mamma if she doesnt peck at them?

Quote:
I wouldn't if she is trying to kill them now she will more than likely kill all of them when you try to put them back under her. All the eggs should be taken away from. It sounds to me as she as really never hatch out eggs and is not sure what to do. Question does she act broody? Or does she just like sitting on eggs?

Anything's possible....I'd be very careful.

Myself...I don't give hens that kill their chicks a second chance at those chicks. It only takes a few seconds to kill a chick. One of my first-timers did this...I took all the chicks away & raised them in the brooder. The next time, I watched her VERY closely...she did well & has gone on to raise lots of babies with no problems. I had a bantam hen that killed her chicks & everyone elses....she no longer lives here.

Sorry lilrabitt...we keep cross-posting pretty much the same advice!
frow.gif

Last edited:
She seems very broody and doesn't want my hand anywhere near her. I'm still not 100% she killed it since it was already dead when I found it at feeding time. If I take the eggs away from her can they continue to hatch without an incubator?

By the way - once an egg starts to hatch how long does it usually take from start to finish?

Well...if you didn't actually see her attacking the chick, she may have just been pushing a dead one out of the nest. Whole different ball game....just leave her be.

Back
Top Bottom