1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    So, I couldn't resist this new chick I saw at the local feeder store while getting some feed today and now I've placed the bar even higher for my new chicken coop for when the chicks get older. I already had one in mind that my friend was going to sell me for 150, but I think it is a bit to small for 7 chickens, 6 would've been perfect? Do you think I will be able to fit 7 in a L8' x W3' x H4'? Lets hope so, if not then I'll just buy one/build my own. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know your climate or management techniques. If they will be able to get outside into a snowfree area with a reasonable amount of room 365 days a year during daylight hours, you'll probably be OK. If they have to spend a lot of time in the coop, you could run into problems.

With your willpower, why not just build an 8' x 8' coop high enough for you to walk in and deal with things. I suspect you will need a bigger coop fairly soon anyway.

The 4 square feet per chicken in the coop with 10 square feet in the run is just a general guideline. Depending on a whole lot of different things, you may do OK with less and you may get in trouble with even more. It is just a good minimum starting place that will keep most of us out of trouble most of the time.

3. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    it's addicting! Might as well plan for bigger and better now. Maybe buy and use the smaller one and still build a second one( wait we're getting ahead of ourselves).

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You can't just have one coop come on. Its not big enough get off the couch & build a big arse coop. Birds like big coops their just like people wanting a bigger house. LOL.

5. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I just have a lot of issues with money right now and I lack the resources as of the moment to build my own, I'll let them live in that coop until I get in a better situation, but they are once again down to 6 because one ended up being a rooster. [​IMG] So lets hope I can get a bigger and nicer coop for them soon.

6. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] They haven't learned BYC chicken math...we'll wait for the results [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I live in a very rainy area, but the run is roofed as well (it is removable for certain situations) and we rarely get snow or get severely cold weather. I'm already looking at replacing that 7th chicken, but I guess I can wait for their sake. I'd rather have happy chickens with room then a bunch of cramped chickens. They have a large roost as well and 2 nest boxes if that's any help, I got a few unproductive breeds (two are bantams as well if that helps) so the nest boxes will be covered mainly by my Australorp and such. Would it be bad of me to try to get 7 chickens in there? Again, the roost is huge and it is the best my family can do in this situation right now. I'm only 15 as well, so I'm struggling with trying to help out. Any help from you guys is helpful, this forum has really helped me out so far with raising these girls.

Edit: I'm actually really worried now after reading some cannibalistic horror stories about chickens in small coops.. As I said the roost is huge and big enough for all of them I believe.. And it is roofed so rain wont be getting in the run (the roost is in the run) I kind of wish we thought this through better, should I be worried? Oh! And I forgot to mention that this is a night and morning thing only, they will just hang out in my backyard for the afternoon/evening.

[​IMG] the measurements include the actual coop (which is very small and only has the nest boxes and room for one or two chickens, the majority of the measurments are for the run. I'm so worried now and feel like a horrible chicken owner, I should have sticked to just a few..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Anyone else?

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    You have mentioned that you have lots of roost space. What is lots to you? In general I think you need about 1 linear foot of roost per bird. My advice is to get rid of that rooster and get back down to the 6 that the coup can house. It's tough I know, but quality(of life and your enjoyment of the chickens) over quantity. 6 chickens is not a bad number of birds. Can your family eat 3+ dozen eggs a week? If not then any more than 6 chickens is indulgence and not necessity. If you are short on money then necessity should come first. All is not lost though, in due time things will change and you will be able to go bigger, but in the right way and not in a hurried unplanned way. You're only 15, don't be in a hurry. Things done in a unplanned, chaotic way usually don't last long. Make out your plan, save for it, gather any free materials you can find and I bet by next year you could make it all happen and in a much better way that if you hurry along and hope for the best.

10. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I have just about the right roost space for 6 - 7 birds then.. And yeah, I guess you are right. I want my girls to be happy and I shouldn't be a jerk and take that away from them by cramming another chicken in the coop. Thank you so much for your answer, I'll do some work on the coop as time goes on and make it bigger and then start adding more birds. This answer really helped me out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by