Oh no!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mike32, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I just got quail this past weekend and just now read that you can't keep them with chickens which I also have. Now is that referring to keeping them in the same coop? Or in the same area? How about having them close to rabbits? Would I have to move them to another side of the property? Thanks

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    From what I've read it's dangerous for two reasons. One, there are certain avian diseases that might not affect one group of poultry but would destroy the other group. A common example is blackhead with turkeys. Chickens aren't hurt by it, but it will destroy an entire flock of turkeys. Another reason is size difference, they could easily get squished by the bigger birds.

I'd keep your quail at safe distance from your chickens just to be safe. I'm not sure if the diseases are airborne or not but you'd hate to find out the hard way. I've never read about anyone saying they've had problems housing quail near rabbits but it's always a possibility.

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If they are in their own cage/hutch and not sharing water with chicken you are fine.

5. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I have them in a rabbit cage. My chickens are close by though, about 6 feet away or so. They have their own water and don't share anything with the chickens. They are right next to my rabbits though.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Then you are fine [​IMG]

7. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey Mike32! I'm also in NM, also just started with quail, also have chickens and rabbits. Are you copying me? Oh! Am I copying you? [​IMG]

My quail are on one side of the house, chickens on the other and the rabbits live with the chickens. [​IMG]

I do make a point of detouring into the house for a thorough hand scrubbing between the chicken pen and the quail hutch ( come to think of it, my quail are also in a rabbit hutch - like yours...hmmmm)

From what I've read and asked, no matter which side of the "great debate" you fall on, as long as you pratice common sense avian biosecurity, you should be fine.

[​IMG] Just my newbie 2 cents!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow! Lots of New Mexicans raising quail and chickens these days!! Cool!! It is going to be a cold night tonight here in NM, so tuck in those birds good and warm folks. [​IMG]

9. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Just... separated, so that they can't hurt each other is my guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by