1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh No!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jwatts, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My little daughter went into the coop this morning and came back in crying, Her 3 month old speckled sussex hen was just about dead. Were not sure what happened. There are alot of other chickens in there and a few roosters,They all get along. My wife and i put her in a box with wood shavings because she is still breathing but eyes are closed. She also has what appears to be a very small droplet of blood on her head and some poop stuck to her butt, Dont know if the poop is stuck to the feathers from her or she somehow sat/fell in it.. No feathers are torn out of her. Does anyone have any idea of what could have happened?? Was she maybe the weakest,Can roosters kill hens while mating? Thank you

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    She didn't happen to drop the pop door on her, did she? I've worried about my little granddaughters playing with the pop door, and dropping it on a hen - - -

3. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Will she eat or drink? How bad is the head injury? Can you post a picture of the wound?

4. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    no she didn't drop the door,we have an automatic door,the hen was in the corner.I can't seem to load a pic. on here, It dosent seem a predator got her. I have no idea.. I hope she wasn't sick and my other ones wll start dying. I haven't noticed anything wrong the last few days.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I believe pictures would be very beneficial. Are you loading them from computer or mobile?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sounds like she got picked on by the others...definitely pecked on the head possibly causing the blood. When birds see blood, they all join in trying to eliminate the weak bird. It also could be a pecking order issue that started it as well...no telling. If there's a wound, cleanse it with 50/50 water betadine mixture and put neosporin ointment on the wound. Keep her sepearted in a cage or crate, provide her with scrambled egg with buttermilk mixed in her feed to make a mash and give it her to eat. You can also give her 2 drops of poultry nutri drench orally, twice a day for 5 days then stop the nutri drench, it can cause diarrhea. Provide her with freshwater as well.
    Use warm water to loosen and remove poop and debris from her rear end. Check for lice and mites while your cleaning her rear. Use scissors to cut through hardened feathers caked with poop, trim the fluff and feathers back so that she'll have a clear 'shot' to the ground. Keep her seperated and caged til she's healed. You'll have to slowly reintegrate her into the flock once she's healed.
    Edited: For a quick "pick me up" for her, give her some warm sugar water to drink for a quick boost of energy, use an eyedropper or syringe without a needle.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  7. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    I can't put pics up. How do you do it? I don't see anything in the post reply colum to Browse or upload..

8. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    upload your camera to your cp using a USB cord. Import all your pics. Then look above on the blue bar, and click on uploads, then click browse, find the pic you want, then click submit, it will bring you to a page that has a link and an image link. Copy the image link, and then paste it on her and BAM! pics

9. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

10. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by