Oh no!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KIWI CHICK, Feb 6, 2013.

1. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    I have a brown Shaver who has gone clucky so I went out and bought her some lavender araucana eggs. All good so far, but the next morning, Shavie was sitting in another nest on the golf balls I leave in my nests. Aaarrggghhhh! The eggs felt cold to the touch but as she had only sat on them overnight will they be ruined? Thanks for any advice.

2. Hi, and welcome to BYC. It depends on how old the eggs are when you bought them from the store, and how cold the night was. To avoid this, put Miss Broody into a pet crate with the correct eggs.

3. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    We always have one (hinged) door in a group of nestboxes for this reason.
    Plus if we leave a broody in one without other birds may go in when they take a break and lay new eggs in there.
    If you're eggs aren't marked than it's pretty hard to figure out which egg needs to be removed.
    We make it out of a thin wood frame and hardware cloth.
    We can also hang food and water cups.
    I get the hen in the habit of coming out in the morning to poo and stretch her wings.

4. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I agree that with having the hen in a private area with her own pet carrier, but at the very least you should mark your eggs and remove the golf balls. The eggs though are resilient and will probably be ok.

5. KIWI CHICK

KIWI CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Oh yay, I may still get chicks! Missy had made her nest in a large-ish cardboard box and I had put the flaps down so that the other girls couldn't get in there, but maybe she got out and couldn't figure out how to get back in. Silly sausage!. They eggs were well marked with the date they were set, and being araucana eggs they are blue unlike any my girls lay. Thank you for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by