1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh no!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JaceAgain, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Im pretty sure I'm allergic to chickens. We kept them in the house for a couple days but I noticed my nose was itching, and we moved them to the garage. Im still a mess even after a good house cleaning, but Ive been handling the babies daily. We might have to return the chicks at this point, does it get better when they are grown and outside? Or is it just more dander and dust now everywhere outside? Taking medications is not an option. I was planning on doing the deep litter method and having an external egg box, so contact should be pretty minimal once they are outside.

2. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    A lot of people are allergic to bird dander, and chicks produce a lot of it. I would advise never keeping them in the house again. I have my brooder in a shed close to the house where I can keep a close eye on it, but not have to live with it. Still, you might want to wear a mask when inside your coop.I wear a mask when I clean my henhouse, and that helps a lot.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you having skin reactions too, or just the respiratory? do you have asthma? History of asthma? If you're still having respiratory difficulty after a few days, I'd recommend that you high tail it to the Dr. You may need an inhaler to get your lungs straightened out. It's nothing to mess with.

4. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Just hay fever like reactions, I've had hay fever all my life. Burning eyes, itchy nose, vaguely scratchy throat, and fatigue. I though it could be from enjoying the weather outside, but its supposed to be virtually no pollen so it cant be that. I can breath and everything, fortunately.

What kind of mask do you use? Do you notice a lot of dander in the air with chickens or are the good outside?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A paper mask should do the trick, makes sure it fits tight against your face wit no gaps.

Where there are chickens, there will be dust....lots, and lots of dust.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a nice long discussion with my hematologist about my chickens last year while I was undergoing chemo. The upside is...the coop was a no-no, but being around them in the open air was just fine. They were worried about me inhaling dust/dander/spores/whatever as I had literally NO immune system. He said the outdoor area was fine, the air dispersed the dust and dander enough it wasn't a danger to me.I couldn't pick them up or anything like that, but just being around them was fine. I'd say that means you should have considerably less symptoms once they're out.

Buy a box masks, I was told either the soft surgical types where you mold the top to your nose or the molded type are fine. Keep them available for when you need to work in the coop. Keep some benadryl around too, just in case!

1 person likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That's why I'll never brood in the house again!

1 person likes this.
  8. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    I don't notice any problem in the open air. Only inside the enclosed portions. So only the days I clean the hen house, I use a mask. I like the kind you can get at Home Depot for use while working with wood/paint whatever. Allergies also bother my eyes, but I can't stand using goggles, although that might not be a bad idea! I also make sure to always take my Zyrtec before getting started.

9. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Thank you everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by