Oh, no!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantyhen, Aug 1, 2014.

1. bantyhen

bantyhen Chirping

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    I unplugged the incubator this morning about 11:00 to turn the eggs. I forgot to plug it back in before we went to town. We just got back at 11:30 tonight. The eggs felt warm when I lifted the lid to feel them. Will they still hatch?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    No way to tell until you plug it back in and start incubating them again... Candle in a few days..

No blame here at all, we all do things, but why do you unplug your incubator to turn them, I just lift the lid off and turn them, I have 19 eggs and it takes all of about 2-3 min... I would be someone who would forget to plug it back in too [​IMG]

3. bantyhen

bantyhen Chirping

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much. The reason I unplug the incubator is because it says to on the sticker on it. The eggs still felt warm, so I hope they hatch. It is a Little Giant Still Air Incubator. Since it is made of styrofoam, do you think it was insulated enough to keep them warm? Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    It may have been, I have a hova bator still air, although we have air conditioning the room where the bator is usually stays about 76 degree's during the day... I see your in a more humid and warm climate so it might be ok, your hatch if still viable will more then likely be delayed depending on what day of incubation they are on... I once didn't put the lid on correctly when I turned the lights out for the night, got up and the temp in the bator was 75 degree's... I got 16/18 to hatch.. I cant remember where I was in the incubation, I think it was early on tho.

I wouldn't be unplugging it anymore..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I have this same incubator. I think if the temps in the room where your incubator is stayed fairly warm your probably ok. Just have to wait and see :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: