Oh NOES bare bum?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by neVar, Jun 15, 2011.

1. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    OK so she's actually had it from day one (well age 10 days which is when we got her)
    She's eating drinking and active seems no different from the other one.

but our cream silkie has a bar bum. NO FEATHERS!!! she's also got some crusted feathesr under hr wings too- jus t acouple seem to be old.

Ideas ?? things i can do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would think she will grow them in time. As long as she's doing well otherwise, and no one is pecking her, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Chickens_in_a_nutshell

Chickens_in_a_nutshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Montana
    It looks like she may have a plugged vent, chicks tend to lose the feathers on their booties when that happens. You should wash that poo off and dry her well. DON'T pull on it, I read once that you can gently pull it off. I was careful with the chick but he still had an irritated bootie afterward. But as for the feathers, she should be fine.

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I'd think her bottom will fill in normally as she feathers out. Two of my birds had bare bums just like that for a while because they had issues with pasty butt, but are now as well feathered as everyone else.

When my girls were in the bare bottom brigade, I followed a couple of tips I saw here on BYC and applied a thin coat of Vaseline to the bare spots after cleaning them. It really did help prevent the poo from sticking.

5. Chickens_in_a_nutshell

Chickens_in_a_nutshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Montana
    Oil works too. The cooking variety, not motor oil.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    well update. the yellow chick i seperted out bout a week go- the grey one kept bullyng her awy from the food even with 2-3 feeders. so she's n her own doggy kennel. She's eating, she's gettng more feathers- but she's now 1/2 the size of they 'grey' chick.

i put them together for bit to show the size difference. They re kate (the grey) and Pippa. i love that pippa's head is YELLOW in person and her body now is all white with her big girl feathers.

she doesn't look as sad s in the pic. i just bathed her s she was filthy- and blow dried her.

[​IMG]
    she's bald under her wings- but feathers are coming in- she's got lots more then a few days ago- so have hope- I c

Kate went outside for the first time in a week it's not been tht warm. or t's been wet. anyway she follows me around in the yard- and went and met our polish chicks who are living in the run of the new coop now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    well lil pippa has a sneeze- she's bright she's alert- she's eating- not alot but eatng and poopng. going to give her vitamins tomorrow when i get home from work. poor wittle pippa [​IMG] she's so small now- but feathering up- slowly. her nails are not growing nearly as fast as Kate's

8. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You could try giving her extra protein to help her feathers grow, try some scrambled eggs- I hope her feathers grow in soon, she is very cute [​IMG]

9. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    oh eggs good idea- maybe i'll grab a couple meal worms for them too. she's bright and perky- eating and pooping. they spent the night outside last night and are out all day today (it's in mid 90's) and she looked really good this morning- was getting hard even with the heat lamp on with the AC going full blast the last couple days. i was worried she might be getting a draft even though she's on a solid sided kennel and i had the AC vent by them closed. I worry.

You know what they say about free chickens LOL these sure have worried me daily

10. neVar

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    well just bare bum chick update. we lost the bigger one and just have pippa (lets hope pippa is agirl? LOL fingers crossed) Pippa has been out wth the big guys for a couple weeks. first in a seperate kennel in the run (way hotter outsde then in the house at ths point with temps 80-100F non stop) When we brought the houdan home- i let pippa out at the same tme. OMG BOB the roo LOVES pippa after a week of hm sleeping on her kennel n the run nightly they are just two peas in a pod pippa hangs out with him, eats with him, sleeps with him. Lucinda is just happy bob is distracted. [​IMG]
    7 weeks old- no more bare spots! under her wings are now covered with down- where they used to be bald
    [​IMG]

size comparison pipaa with the Roo (BOB) and hen- Lucinda
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by