1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh noooo! Temp was 105 this morning is it a loss?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinelli-farm, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pinelli-farm

pinelli-farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    How do I find out if they are still alive. they were suppose to hatch yesterday and then I have some that were going to hatch next week. Is it all over? it was probably like that for about 8 hours. Last night when I went to bed it was 101 at 9 pm. When I woke up this morning it was 105 eeks.

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm not sure. But a few times mine were over 100 and are still growing.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    If none have pips, take them out and listen to them. If they are still alive and kicking in there, you should be able to hear them, if they have internally pipped, you will hear clicking, if they are close to hatching, you should hear peeps if you tap on the eggs. However, how in the world did the temperature spike that much? I'd be afraid it has been spiking all along the incubation period.

4. pinelli-farm

pinelli-farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Well honestly it has to do with the fact that I have 7 children and toddlers LOL. They were in there yesterday so I am assuming they played with the nob. [​IMG] I must admit I am having a really hard time regulating temp for some reason. Its never been up to 105 but it has been up to 102 and then as low as 95 [​IMG] I had some hatch two days ago. They were quails though so they hatch sooner. This is my first time doing this and I feel like such a failure. [​IMG] I did it all wrong. According to advice here I have done everything I shouldn't lol.

What does lock down mean?
    Are you not allowed to take the eggs out to check for internal pipping?
    I have a still air incubator what exactly should my temp be?
    Is it normal to have variations in a still air? its a havobator.

I did end up buying a hygrometer as well but its not here yet so I have no idea what humidity is. [​IMG]
    I need to start over. However I do have 2 cute little quails and 2 cute little chicks. the chicks did have bloody navels though. wonder what causes that?

5. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    ur situation is my situation exactly,, mine is suppose to hatch 10-24 ive made the same mistakes u have.today i turned the egg over and heard lil thump.i hope its a baby chick n there and i hope he is ok.. i tired to candle and cant see thru it cuz its green.. hope urs works out,

6. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    It is probably fine. My incubator spiked temps a few times (up to 109!!) & I still had 90%+ hatch rate. I don't think it's high as long as we FEAR. I would proceed as planned and give them 3-5 days to fully hatch out. Our first batch, we didn't & I think we would've had more hatch if we had waited. The second time, they hatched over a 7 day period!! I just let them be as long as there was no SMELL!!

Good luck & keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by