Oh nooooo! Egg on day 8 with MASSIVE crack. Is there any hope for it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I opened my bator this morning to hand turn my eggs, and one of them tucked away right at the back has a spiderweb looking bash on each side, a crack the whole way round the shell, and a partial crack up to the pointy end of the shell. I have NO idea how this happened. I turned them last thing at night and I thought they were fine. I must have done it without noticing but I really don't understand how. D'oh! One of the bashes had a tiny little bit of blood in the cracked bit so I suppose that means the membrane has broken.

I've sealed up all the cracks with candlewax and put it back in. I'll have to be VERY careful handling it now. Does anyone have any idea if this could still hatch?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse all the dirty smudges, that's just soot from the candle!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know but good luck. [​IMG]

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Yes, it can still hatch... Just make sure you candle it before you put it in lockdown.. I actually found one that was cracked for almost a week before i put it in the bator and then another 5 days in the bator before I candled and saw it.. There was a definite embryo in there so I went ahead and put wax on it and put it back.. LOL... Good luck!

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:And it hatched okay? Wow! Thanks for that. I'll keep mine in till lockdown then. And I won't candle it again till then.
    The less handling the better, I think, and I seem to have done enough damage already!

5. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    UPDATE:

No, there wasn't any hope for it. I candled just before lockdown and removed it. Broke it open for a look and the embryo had obviously died when the egg got bashed. Oh well, it was worth a try. I'm not too upset anyway as it was just a tiny blob, not a recognisable chickie, and out of the original ten eggs set I have just put eight into lockdown so things are looking good for the rest of them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by