oh nooooooo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I told myself I wouldnt worry about cold in the coop but now we are hitting 25 tonight and I am stressed. I will throw some scratch in the coop tonight and give them warm oatmeal in the morning but should I add the lamp tonight? I dont want to create a bad habit but I lost a chick last night because it got to cold and I dont want to loose another

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How old are the chicks?

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    12 weeks to 28 weeks

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    were i live the temp is like 9 and theres still chickens that dont cover there 8 week old chicks out side i think they will be perfectly fine

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    if you do put a heat lamp in there be VERY SURE it is securely fastened to something that will keep it away from flamable materials. The clips that are on heat lamps are completely insufficient to keep them attached, and a fire would be devastating.

Last year, my chicks were about 3 1/2 or 4 months old when the weather got cold. They were fully feathered and adult sized, but they were still my babies. I clamped and screwed a heat lamp to one of the beams above the roost and plugged it into a thermocube that would kick it on when the temperature got down to 20 degrees and then turn it off when it got back up to 30. They weathered 2 blizzards (by Kansas standards -- -10 or so with high winds) just fine in those conditions. This year I have a couple of "Sweeter heaters" over the roosts plugged into the same thermocube. They are supposed to be lots safer, and they tend they use about the same electricity for more heat. We will see how they work.

Good luck. If they are fully feathered, and if the the temp doesn't get below 30 they should be fine.

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They should be fully feathered out, then. Do they have a draft free coop with adequate ventilation above them? If so, they really ought to be okay, but I don't know what caused your other one to die.
    You can put extra wood shavings or hay on the floor for insulation as well.

7. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Yay Chicks! :

They should be fully feathered out, then. Do they have a draft free coop with adequate ventilation above them? If so, they really ought to be okay, but I don't know what caused your other one to die.
    You can put extra wood shavings or hay on the floor for insulation as well.

I just laid a new block of shavings down yesterday and the youngsters are fully feathered. I think something was wrong with Snowball (RIP) she was very tiny compared to the other chicks​

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry you lost Snowball. My first thought was that there was probably something else going on with her, other than the cold. That doesn't make it any easier when you lose one, though.

9. WoofMeowCluck

WoofMeowCluck Dark Speckled Egg Lover

Mar 9, 2010
    What is a "Sweeter Heater" is there another brand name for it? Where can they be purchased?

Thanks!!!!!

Quote:

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I live South and East of you ( roughly central Oregon) and other than adding hay to the floor of the coop (I have some to young to really roost) I haven't added anything else. I would second that you need to be sure that it's as fire safe as you can make it.

Chickens are amazingly well adapted to the cold though! Are you sure the cold killed your chick? I am very sorry to hear you lost one. [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by