OH NOOOOOOO!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexasLady, Apr 13, 2012.

1. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    While I was gone at work, the power went out. Apparently it was off for only a short period. Let me think, my clock says 9:30. I left at 6:45. So that means that it has been back on for 9 and a half hours (since it restarts at 12:00). So it must have been off for about 1.5 hours.

The door was, of course, closed. I'm so freaking scared!

I put eggs in last night that I just got shipped to me! I'm sick inside. And I had eggs in from 4/1 and 4/7.

What do you more experienced think about this? Are all my babies doomed?

I wasn't here, so I have no idea what happened? Are they cooked?

Freakin' scared!

2. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    They should be fine..... I had a broody get off the nest for 4 hours because she went to the wrong nest and they all hatched........Have faith......[​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You'll be fine! It takes the internal egg temperature a lot longer too cool that the air temperature that is measured by the thermometer.

4. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Oh thank God!

thank you so much for answering tonight. I've been really worried.

I'm so relieved.

I have a 1202. I just got a new motor put in (found out it was for ostriches). So that is why I couldn't hatch any chicks.

So I got it in, and for some reason, I cannot, cannot, cannot get the humidity up over 38. I read tha it is wise to let it dry out for 12-24 hours. Then add more water.

I need to look at my eggs again with the light. I didn't know it, but the bottom of the incubator was 106 degrees. I'm sure it killed most of my eggs that were there. The guy that repaired it closed the vents, and since I didn't anticipate that, I didn't check it. *sigh* I know. I know. Always anticipate the worst and pray for the best.

I'm hoping this time I will have chicks. I need some. I'm desperately wanting some.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm sooooooo relieved.

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

My power went out couple weeks ago for 3 hours. The temp dropped to 87 degrees. All eggs continued to develop.

I've read people who have lost power for 2 days and eggs still hatched.

6. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Well that helps me breathe a sigh of relief. I was soooo scared. I have $100 worth of eggs not including shipping. I probably shouldn't have gone that far, but I wanted to get the chicks started. Once it gets hot here, it is really hard for me to keep the temperature down in the incubator, and then I can't hatch.

Well, once it gets hot. This season, we're really cool and having lots of rain. I don't get it, but that's okay. We need the rain.

Thanks again. I was so freaked.

I can sleep tonight!

Thanks.

7. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

My eggs were shipped also I was so worried watching the temp drop. My eggs hatched couple days ago and got 19 out of 24.

8. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    That's great! Congratulations!

How long did the temp drop on yours?

9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    If you need more eggs, let me know, I'll send you some for shipping cost only.

I hate when incubator glitches happen. I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but my incubator was unplugged for 2 days, yes 2 full days! at day 16-18 and I still had 8 out of 24 hatch.

the high temps has me more worried than the power being off. Once you cook them, they really can't recover

10. TexasLady

Mar 27, 2012
    Thank you so much. That is very thoughtful. Let me watch them for a few days and see if they died. I will let you know.

That was really nice of you.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by