1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Oh oh I'm in trouble, need rabbit advice!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Nov 16, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Last night my DH and I went and picked up a 9month old flemish doe bred to a Champagne d'argent buck. The breeder(who has a fairly large rabbitry) said she was bred 2 weeks ago.

Well I get in email today....Shes due tomorrow ON the 17th she thinks she sold me the wrong doe. Anyways In a pinch what can I use as a nesting box? I have to get one in their asap and dh doesn't have time to build one.

Or the other option would be to bring her in the house in a dog crate. She is on a wire floor right now. What do you think?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My husband knows more about the bunnies, but in a pinch anything that will hold bedding material... cardboard box, 5 gallon bucket... a crate would work, too. Good luck!! And congratulations!

3. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Lesson #1 in breeding rabbits: if you give them a nest box, they won't use it anyway. I couldn't even tell you what would fit a rabbit that size. First, you need to make sure the bunnies can't fall out of the sides of the cage. If the cage that wire sides, I would recommend getting a small mesh to attach to the outside of the cage. Then I would fill her cage full of straw. She will start pulling hair out to build a nest. The straw will provide protection from the bare wire and warmth. Then you just want to make sure the cage is protected from drafts. Watch her for listless behavior. She'll probably go off of her pellets the day she gives birth.

4. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I did put a cardboard box in their but it seems to small. The plans we have for nesting boxes would have them attached to the door with a removable outer wall so I could access the babies. But time is of the essence now. You think filling her cage with straw would be good enough to keep the babies warm along with her nest building skills? I hate rushing I thought I still had a few weeks to do all of this research! Argh and who knows maybe she isn't even pregnant!

5. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I've had dozens of litters. Never used a nest box. Just lots of straw. Only litters I lost were the ones I didn't know about.

Do you know how to palpate? That would be a good skill to learn if you plan on breeding. That would tell you if she's pregnant and how big the babies are.

6. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Mine just stuffed her box with a bunch of straw she is about to deliver soon and I dont really know if she is going to use it but she sure is doing something in there.

7. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Exciting, we can wait together. I've never had a pregnant rabbit before and I didn't expect to be having babies so quickly.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Guess it depends on how cold it is, too... all of our large rabbits have used nest boxes... just large wooden boxes big enough for them to get in and out of.

9. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Quote:Not true. Most experienced breeding rabbits will use a nesting box. Just have to make sure its the right size the for breed. OP you can find large rabbit sized nesting boxes at TSC tractor supply. You never want to encourage a rabbit to have its litter on the wire. Chances are, if she does, they will die. Most first time moms may lay them on the wire. But will get it right the second time.

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I use a wood box about 1 1/2 times the size of the doe. Cut out a hole mid way up one side large enough for the doe (climbing in/out a hole helps prevent nursing kits from getting out when mom leaves the box). Add a layer of straw for bedding and you done, your doe will arange it how she likes. You'll know she's getting ready to kindle when she starts pulling fur.
    Moving or transporting a doe that close to her kindle date can cause a lot of stress on the doe, hope you have a large litter of kits. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by