Oh oh oh oh yay! I have a setting hen...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missnu01, Jan 24, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    We bought a mama chicken and 7 babies a few months ago, the chicks are almost 5 months old now and I have been waiting and waiting for the mama to lay eggs, but no eggs from mama...Then this morning I went up and didn't see her at all...so I started looking around...a little back story, our coop is on the top floor of a 2 story farm type building...anyway as I was coming back down the stairs I saw her backed into a corner under the stairs to go to the coop...when I went over and picked her off of her "nest" she is sitting on 2 little eggs...pretty exciting...will she lay a few more and then sit on them all, or am I looking at only 2 baby chickens? Either way this is exciting. Lol. One of my friends that lives with us was saying that she might be hiding her eggs, and then we got one small egg in the nest box...so I assumed it was one of hers, apparently she didn't like the collecting of the eggs...so she went downstairs...anyway I'm going to see if I can't get her some food and water down there so she won't have to leave the nest too much...she should be a good mama though..she was a totally free range wild-ish type chicken before we got her...the lady didn't coop her chickens or anything..just let them all out to be chickens all over her property...she said all of her hens were good broodies and this one definitely is...she just stopped sitting on top of her giant chicks a few weeks ago--so we'll see how this goes...all I know is that I am tickled to pieces. I'm going to take her food and such now...

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Well, I think she would prefer I just leave her alone..hopefully she goes back to her 2 tiny little eggs...

I want her to set on these eggs, but she isn't really in a good spot at all...should I try to move her into a better place? Or just leave her where she is...The upstairs is where the chickens are and it is a safe place..the under part is just the garage and not really protected at all...I just don't want anything to happen to her or any chicks that might result...I also don't want to scare her off from setting on the eggs...I guess I could try to find a way to hem her in so nothing can get to her where she is for now, and perhaps feel out how she might feel about me moving her nest site later...she literally just built a nest on a pile of lumber under the stairs. It's cute, but not very safe. She had her last clutch in a woman's dog house...she said every time she would come outside the dog would just stand looking quizzically at his dog house and then in 3 weeks she understood because out walked the mama and 8 babies.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by