Oh Please tell me I didn't ruin the meat?!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    We started processing our 5 meaties yesterday evening. Everything we really wedid realley well until we go to cleaning the intruls. That took me a bit longer to make sure I had everything.
    Earlier in the day I wasn't feeling well. And as the butchering went on I got more and more sick, I wasn't able to completely finish the first one. So I wrapprd it up and put everything in fridge.
    Now as for the other four chicken, They were cut, srained, and washd off. They still have their innards. I plan on getting them finished up today.

But did I ruin them by letting them sit with their inners intact? Or are they safe fot human consumptin?

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    It should be alright. I've heard of many hunters aging birds with feathers, innards, bullets and all for days. Unless the innards were punctured it should be alright overnight.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they were refrigerated, they will be fine. Maybe a little stronger flavor, but safe to eat.

Not the number 1 best way to process, but you haven't ruined them.

Take care and feel better.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If the cavity smells strong after cleaning it out, try rubbing it down with a paste of table salt, lemon juice, and finely minced lemon zest, letting that paste sit in the cavity for about 30 minutes. That helps to deodorize and remove strong flavors and odors.

5. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

I assume the salt would help kill the bacteria too...

6. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Okay, so I finished cleaning out the rest of the meaties today. Their insides didn't smell bad after getting everything out and rinsing them off. I think I lucked out.

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

Okay, so I finished cleaning out the rest of the meaties today. Their insides didn't smell bad after getting everything out and rinsing them off. I think I lucked out.

question? was it easier (to you) to process cold?​

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    your other post says they smelled bad?

9. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    "question? was it easier (to you) to process cold?"
    It was much easier to process hot. When it was cold all the fat was more solid and harder separate and find organs.

"your other post says they smelled bad?"
    It was when I was taking out the internals that it smelled really bad. And it didn't matter if it was fresh plucked one or one that sat in the fridge a couple days.
    Once they were all clean out though there was no stink at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by