Oh Rats!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by max13077, Mar 4, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

At least they were! I drove into the driveway this afternoon from work and was sitting there looking over the mail. A movement by the chicken coop caught my eye. It was a rat in my chicken run! I slowly got out of the car but they(I saw three) run into a hole under the coop. The G D things were sitting on the ramp going into the coop!! I was mad.

I went in the house and got the .22. I was sure since they'd seem me they wouldn't come back out. I hunched down in back of the car and waited for a second. All the sudden here comes one out of the hole! I leveled the gun on the hood(it's a 88 chevy, I don't care if it gets powder burns!) The rat stepped out from behind a post and I squeezed. He popped in the air and fell back down motionless. I stood up sure that the sound would keep the others in the hole. But again, one came out to inspect the carcass of the one I'd shot. Again, POP! This one rolled a little and hobbled back into the hole. I know he was hit, so I assume he'll croak.

I didn't see the third one after waiting for ten minutes. I don't want them there! I set a couple traps near the hole and under the coop. Other than that, what can I do to make sure they don't come back?

2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    traps..... otherwise, not a whole lot more than target practice!

3. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Make sure your chickens can't get in the traps.
    Chris

4. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Do your best to not have food around but that isnt a guarantee either.

I could lend you BB & PC. We had rats in the grainery when DH hauled the grain out. Left the door open and those two went in to investigate and dead rats were everywhere the next morning [​IMG]

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think they are getting into the coop itself. All the food is stored in there. I think they may be getting the food I occasionally throw out in the run for the girls to eat. I've stopped doing that cause I saw a rat a couple weeks ago.

I think I'll just fill in the hole with concrete. I would dump boiling water down the hole but it's right under one of the cinder blocks that support the coop. Since the grounds frozen, I don't want anything happening if it unthaws fast and buckles or whatever.

6. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure why you're asking what to do about rats.... seems that your solution seems to be working just fine! [​IMG]

Carla

7. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Thats some great shooting! [​IMG] congrats!!

and I love your signature line!

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    great shot:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by