Oh silly silly drake...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    He just got his new girlfriend and i was watching them, and she was doing what we call her little "dance." bobbing the head to one side of the body, ya know, their little mating dance. and silly Toby the drake was RUNNING away from her! he didn't know what was going on! i saw him try to mate with her in the pond when they first met, and he was bobbing his head and looking all fancy, and she just turned away from him. rejected! poor toby swam away in shame. but now she's doing her dance and he's running away! silly silly boy!

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:OH! Is that why the females bob their heads? Dont the males do the head bob too?????? MY littlest was practicing this when i was singing to him I was singing "Duck E duck e duck, dance dance duck duck" and so on. HHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

He is a silly guy! Its just he needs time to get used to her, I guess! They certainly are funny, huh?

4. pishposh

pishposh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    westminster, md
    My females do that to each other all the time...I always thought it was a dominance display?

I hope you little pair work out their "relationship issues" soon. [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:OH! Is that why the females bob their heads? Dont the males do the head bob too?????? MY littlest was practicing this when i was singing to him I was singing "Duck E duck e duck, dance dance duck duck" and so on. HHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Both sexes do the head thing.

The girls' hussy head bob goes off to the side and they do a come on rat-a-tat-tat quack and the males' heads go straight up and down into their necks and look like they are trying to pump up a bicycle tire.

6. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ

Both sexes do the head thing.

The girls' hussy head bob goes off to the side and they do a come on rat-a-tat-tat quack and the males' heads go straight up and down into their necks and look like they are trying to pump up a bicycle tire.

oooooooooooooooo i had no idea!!! i thought it was a happy dance. so funny!!!! now... if we could get our husbands to dance!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    theduckcrew i want 2 see pics!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thanks terrielacy! i didn't know how to describe it. i knew it was her "mating dance" as the males bob their heads up and down. pepper chases him around doing her dance. ill try to get pictures. its hard because she's black and skittish and normally hides behind fat ole toby when i come around. i shouldve named her shadow!

9. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Both of my girls have started doing the dance the past two weeks. We don't have any boys around so I'm worried that they may get a bit...uh...lonely. Do I need to worry about them getting aggressive if they don't have a mate?

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awaiting pictures... hehehe

Look how cute!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by