Oh snap, power outage!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, May 6, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    So as soon as I got up this morning the power went out (perfect timing). The eggs are just barely three days into their journey and I candled them yesterday and could see very faint veins on some and the amnion on others. I immediately threw blankets over my bator, one of which was still warm with my body heat. The power was out for an 1 and a 1/2, and had dropped from 100 to 87 in that time. Do you think they'll be ok? I'm so worried. I'm just destined not to hatch Golden Duckwing OEs it seems. [​IMG] I called PG&E and was so tempted to deliver a few choice words, but I realize a car accident taking out a telephone pole is out of their control. God bless them, they fixed it in record time but I'm still worried. I'll candle in a few days and see what happens.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I had the same thing happen last week, and had many eggs in various stages of development from 4 days to 15 days.... today I have quail hatching. [​IMG] I think the lowest mine got was 84 , my power was out for 3.5 hours! Good luck! [​IMG]

Nancy

4. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    If you have a power inverter, you can run your incubator off your car battery for quite a while before you need to restart your car to recharge the battery.

Most sm incubators use less than 100 watts per hr.

inverters are pretty inexpensive... my 300 watt was about $40.

it has saved some eggs for me... !!

.... also great for curling my hair when the power is out or I am camping.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I really hope they make it! I've got another 17 days to wait... might just go crazy in that time. lol. Shoot. I have some REALLY valuable eggs in there too. I can always get more but it's such a drag. Five of the eggs were from my three year old kicka-- Brown Red Modern Game Hen crossed with her equally kicka-- boyfriend, a Lemon Blue Modern game. It took almost two weeks just to get 5 eggs out of her cause she's old for a Moderns. [​IMG] Ah, we'll see what happens.[​IMG]

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Wish I had one! I almost dragged my bator down to my neighbor who fired up his generator... but I thought it'd be too much of a hassle. Haha, I had to go to school with messy hair! I was litterally plugging my flat iron in when the light went out. So that might not be a bad investment... lol

7. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I don't know how far you are from town, but many ordinary stores carry them. Auto supply places have them.... places like "costco" and one stop shopping stores generally have them..

they are great!

hope your power comes on... SOON!!!!

8. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Cool, I'll get one.

Oh, no worries now, it's been on since 7:30, but it was off for 1 and a 1/2 hours.

9. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    They should be fine. I left a tray out of the incubator one night and they hatched fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by