1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

oh somethin terrible happened

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ali, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i think one of my cockrels killed the other. is this normal? should i worry for my hens?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm definitely no expert, but I don't imagine cock fighting was invented by man -- just exploited. I think roos have a natural tendency toward fighting over who rules the roost. Most fights won't end in death, but if neither will back down or the loser can't escape from the area then it can happen. I seriously doubt your hens are in any danger since they are likely the reason for the fight.

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    What happend? Some times roo's will fight each other for picking order and mates. We they get started They can tear each other up really bad, but I never had one of them kill another one. It is very possible it could happen, especially if it is a younger Roo that is going up against a mature one. Is your roo still breathing? If he is bring him inside were it is warm, and try forcing some gator aid or pedia lite down him along with a small part of a asprin. This may help getting him to perk back up. Your hens will be fine, roo's dont get agressive with hens. If you have any other Roo's I would try and seprate them, give them more room, and try to add more hens so there isnt as much need for them to be so copetitive. If they have spurs you need to remove them. That helps both with them hurting each other in fights, and keeps them from hurting the hens while trying to mate. Once I did have a young Roo that died because the older Roo's wouldnt allow him to get near the water or feed. Our nieghbor gave him to us, but didnt know we were going to be out of town for the weekend. I was going to put him in with my pullets in a seperate pen. By the time we got back he was dehydrated, and was to far gone to save at that point.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I have a rooster at the moment who cannot come down off of the roost. At one time he was the dominant one of the three roosters I have. Things have changed though, and if he hops down, the other two take after him. He must be sneaking down at night to drink when the others are up roosting. I have been feeding him from a small bowl I put up on a rafter, and he eats it up there. I have not seen this rooster come down in a week.
    Roosters fight, thats just the way it is.
    I don't think your rooster will kill the hens though.
    He killed the other rooster in order to have the hens to himself in my opinion.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    It would be very unlikely for a roo to kill a hen, unless it was an accident somehow. Other than trying to mate with hens, a roo's strongest desire is to care for his girls.

It's certainly possible the cockerell killed the other - were there obvious signs of injury?

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My old roommate used to have chickens. One of his chicks turned out to be a Leghorn roo and the day it crowed, the mature RIR started fighting with it. Eventually, the RIR drew blood and the hens finished it off.

7. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i don't know what happened. they free range so there's plenty of room. they had disputed before even drew blood, but ALWAYS ended it and slept together like brothers. i simply can not believe my Sam took off the head (literally) off his brother Lemon. What really stinks is the next day someone stole my daughters prize winning welsummer cockrel [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:That sounds like a predator to me.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Took off the head? Sounds like a predator to me too.

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I agree with silkie. Maybe a hawk. The others may have scattered for a bit and saved themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by