Oh that bounty from the sky

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bundick, Aug 21, 2010.

1. bundick

bundick New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    West point AL.
    [​IMG] At the local Gas station, having coffee, I asked about raising chicks in this hot weather. I told them about ordering them.
    We have the largest Chicken Farming population of any state or county right here in Cullman.

One of the guys offerd this:[​IMG]
    "I just got in 44,000 Chicks. I'm not through Culling them for weak, dead, or too small yet, but I've thrown a Wheel barrow full to the Catfish already. I gotta Cull some more tomorrow and Monday. Your welcome to my culls"

Wow! Hotdiggitydoggies I'm thinking to myself.
    "Yes sir, I want those Culls. I'll be over to your place to help you cull both Tomorrow and Monday!"
    He said I didn't have to but I'm gonna do it anyway. I wont pass up any learning experience at my young age.

I don't know what I'm gonna feed em' though as I didn't get to the feed store in time. Maybe they'll last a day without food or I'll crush up some of the adult chicken pellets for them.

I sure hope this turns out good.

2. Yeah!! What breed?

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2

4. bundick

bundick New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    West point AL.
    What breed? [​IMG]
    Most everything we get around here look like White Leghorns to me.
    I got some of the ones the "Chicken Pickers" left one time, they did not lay, and were tough as Sage brush to eat.[​IMG]

We'll try Chicks this time. If I get enough that survive, I may keep them till they lay to see what's what with them.
    I'll have photo's tomorrow and by that time I should know the breed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by