Oh That White Meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Homesteading_Bound, May 16, 2009.

1. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    We processed a few roosters about 2 weeks ago. Lots of dark meat...However very good...I know part of it is the type of chicken.

Processed 3 of my meaties last weekend. WOW!!!!!

Now that is the best chicken I have ever tasted.

We ate chicken at least 4 to 5 X a week before I started raising our own....so we have tasted some chickens...Store Chickens...

I cannot believe the difference in Texture, Taste, Flavor and Color. There is no "Dark Meat" per say. However all the meat is juicy and flavorful....

Did I mention it taste Mmmm Mmmm Good.

I never thought I could raise my own...But I am...

My meaties are free range and spoiled ( That's my need not there's). I do and give to them....and in return they give so much more to my family.

[​IMG]

2. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats fantastic,.. I wish more people would post pictures of their meat birds!

They look very happy, and I'd say relaxed but don't all Cornish X's look relaxed? [​IMG]

Don

3. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Store-bought really grosses me out. Now you know how different a fresh chicken is. There really really is a difference in taste, texture and smell.

Good for you [​IMG]

4. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I think it's wonderful that you give them such a good life while you have them. [​IMG] It's the way I feel toward meat animals, also. Love them, spoil them... give them the best life you can... and they will then give back to you when the time comes.

5. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Your response reinforced why I wanted to post on my expereance...Because it has been so positive....

Plus...and it's a big PLUS...

I know there is that "fear of the unknown" because I experienced those feeling. There's a bunch of negative press and "stuff" out there about raising them.

True...they can be a walking time bomb or unhealthy...I found it to be a balancing act...observing them daily and adjusting as needed.

I totally am realistic that the next batch could fail...I need to get several flocks under my wing before I can talk true...

However, for now...this is my experience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by