Oh the Agony of de Feet

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carols Clucks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Foot pain

How many of you have it and what do you do about it?

I had a bad time with plantar fasciitis a few years back. I was cleaning up my parents yard and building a picket fence, so a lot of heavy heavy work and much on my knees. I changed my shoes, buy all a bit too big, good support, soft etc. And things have been much better.

But this past summer I spent about 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week on my feet working in a rental, up and down stairs and standing around on the cement at Home Depot. I wore out a good pair of tennis shoes in 3 months. By the end of the summer I was wearing some nicer work boots, but my foot was hurting more and more.

It is still killing me. I think the plantar fasciitis is now tarsal tunnel (I get bouts of carpel tunnel too). I had torn something in my ankle years ago so I have a tendon/ligament end that kind of floats at the top of my ankle (I have sprained my ankles many many times) but I can feel a lump under my heel some days too. Some days I tingles other days burns.......No fun at all!

I take the advil, use ice, stretch etc.....

What works for you? What is your story? Anyone have a night time orthotic they love? Brand of shoe that helps(like Gritsar's Birks)

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a lot of foot problems, just not the ones you have. I own a lot of Ryka shoes. I bought them from QVC. They really are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I started with one pair and now own lots of them, in different styles and colors. Now I own their boots, too.

I also bought a recliner, so I can sit with my foot in the air when it's really swollen. My husband and I now have his and hers recliners. [​IMG]

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:You know you're an old married couple when... [​IMG]

I have bunions and arthritis in both big toe joints due to malformed bone ends. [​IMG] For me, it's all about the shoes I wear. Big toe box and low heels are a must. When the arthritis flares up I go on an ibuprofen regime for a couple of weeks that calms it down...for now. I'm 33 so I imagine in the next couple decades it's going to take more than an ibuprofen regimen.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Have you seen a podiatrist recently? I needed new orthodics and that made my feet so much better.

Google Z-coil shoes; they're supposed to be great for plantar fascitis. My mom swears by them. I was able to get rid of my plantar fascitis with stretching.

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I really don't know. Birkenstocks worked for me for several years. Need to order new ones. But I also work Union jobs at nuclear plants and there is a lot of walking and carrying. This last outage I was in horrible pain. But this time different. Pains shooting up the top of my foot and the big toe joint on one foot locking up.

Waiting til May 1st when both mine and my DH's insurance kicks in.....then I am going to the foot doctor.

I have arch supports the foot doctor made for me before that do help.

But the birks for the planter facitis helped that more than anything. The other is new pain and I need to get it figured out.

Hate it for you and hate it for me!!

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Not so much the feet, but ankles. Just try to find white high top tennis shoes anymore. Skinny feet with real high arches and weak ankles. Uggh!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  8. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    I used to have a lot of foot pain after multiple sports injuries and getting old(er!). I started going to a structuralist, aka deep tissue therapy, aka hell on earth. Seriously, worst pain of my entire life. It was a 10 week restructuring program where she basically stretched out all my muscles and tissue and put them back where they are supposed to be. Not fun. But now!! I'm like a new woman. I've started training for a 12k marathon where before standing on my feet for just a few hours would have me poppin' back the extra strength tylenol.

Here's a bit of info .

When we were finished (well before really) she had me throw all my old shoes away and start wearing vibrams 5 finger shoes. I swallowed my pride and started wearing the hideous things and wow, you can't imagine how amazing they are!! Life changing amazing I swear!

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for adding that link, I did not want to hijack your thread!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks for adding that link, I did not want to hijack your thread!

Hijack away. [​IMG] I hope you find some relief. Feet, like teeth, are something we really depend on without giving them much thought, until they start reminding us with pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by