Oh the FLIES are killing me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by misidawnrn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. misidawnrn

misidawnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    What on Earth can I do to rid myself of the plague of flies, besides wait until winter??? HELP!!!

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I pick up poop daily and hang vanilla car scents (the little tree shaped ones) everywhere -- that seems to help.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Don't know where you live but I am just waiting here in central PA for that first frost. I was out with my chickens last evening and I was getting swarmed by gnats. They just won't give up this year [​IMG] I think I remember reading on here about using vanilla air fresheners in your coop and run to repel flies. Try doing a search for that and see what turns up.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I pick up the poop through out the day. I use DE in the coop and we have had zero flies.

5. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Yup, a combination of vanilla air fresheners and DE in the coop and run. Practically no flies.

6. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Definitely the DE. Put in the feed and after about 7 days, it breaks the lifecycle of the fly bc the eggs can't hatch on the poop when you feed the DE. Www.wolfcreekranch.com has good info about it, and there's tons of info about the DE on the internet. Just Google it. Use care not to breathe the dust if you start using it. Make sure its food grade. [​IMG]

7. atomic_chicken

atomic_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    B.C. Canada
    I just realized that there are also no more flies in my run!! I just put a dust bath in for my birds and added some DE and the birds spread it all over the place. It does the trick. I wish I did it in the spring!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Definitely the DE. Put in the feed and after about 7 days, it breaks the lifecycle of the fly bc the eggs can't hatch on the poop when you feed the DE. Www.wolfcreekranch.com has good info about it, and there's tons of info about the DE on the internet. Just Google it. Use care not to breathe the dust if you start using it. Make sure its food grade.

It goes to work faster if you just spread it on the ground, since passing it through the chickens first
    doesn't provide any advantage.​

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Like some of the others, I clean daily and bury the poop in my garden. Fly less around her and stink less too.[​IMG]

10. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Get some muscovys. Mine snatch flies right out of the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by