Oh the goats...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by toddntiff, Sep 17, 2008.

1. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    So...I decided to add a mini la mancha (about 3-4 years old) to my 2 little Nigis (who are both 3 months old) to see if that would help them from weaning from me. I got her yesterday and it didn't exactly happen the way I thought it would (when do things ever work out exactly the way we think they will.) The LaMancha is definitly the head of the herd and the babies know it. They are now sticking together watching the "big" goat do everything. Well, this LaMancha is undoubedtly homesick and checks the yard for a way out everytime I let them out of the goat yard. She won't let me come close to her except to milk her and I have to "herd" her back into the goat yard because she won't let me walk her in. The owner I got her from said shes a real friendly gentle goat, she's had her for a couple of years, so I understand that she doesn't know me and isn't just going to warm up to me...she searching for familiarity right now. So my question is...what can do to help her in this transition? How long should I expect her to not want to come close to me or to have this disposition?
    I also observed that she doesn't care much for the two babies and is also probably lonely for some "adults"? (I get that way after a day with a toddler!!!)

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I think if you just gave her lots of attention, hand feed her, groom her and try to get her to interact with the other two. It'll probably take a while for her to transition and become comfortable at your place. Hopefully she doesn't learn a way to escape and teach the youngun's how to escape.

And, get down to her level-she will be less apprehensive if you are the same height as her.

3. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    I'd give her lots of extra love and attention while she's on the milk stand and maybe do some one on one time with her in a pen/stall.. Just sit there and let her come to you.. Tempt her with oatmeal cookies and corn chips.. One of my does (who is still at the breeders) was very stand offish when I first started working there.. Now with extra attention and treats, she's coming around nicely.. Not too many treats though, of course.. Everything in moderation..

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Sounds like what I would do. It should do the trick and just be very patient with her.

5. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    Is it weird that I am nervous to be on the same level as her? I can sit down on a chair or something, but she is a big girl...what if she gets nervous and charges me? I don't think she will but I just want to air on the side of caution!
    I will do the treat things and see how it goes. This has been a lot of change for her and I just want her to trust me and not think that I am the enemy in causing all of the change! (even though I am...new home...etc)

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Two things: patience and apple flavoured horse treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by