Oh the horror! ((crumble mess))

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by secuono, Oct 29, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    How on earth do you guys not buy a new 50lbs bag of crumbles every 2 weeks?!
    My birds are so...messy! They dump a newly filled big metal feeder((I'm guessing 10lbs feeder, not sure)) in less than 2 days. I keep scooping it off the floor and putting it back in.
    The coop is turning into a deep litter and food bed!
    I don't think a large pan to keep it in would help. Would a chick feeder help? They would have a harder time dumping it out with their faces and feet.
    I need help!!

2. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Get a hanging feeder [​IMG]

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have a hanging feeder, but they bill out the crumbles anyway. I only use pellets now for my layers. MUCH less waste!

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    1. Quit feeding them for a couple days and they will eat all the stuff that falls to the floor.

2. Only put a few pounds in the feeder at one time. Like every other day or two. They will clean up the stuff that falls out when they get hungry.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I switched to crumbles. And I either hang my feeders up right at beak/eye level, or I have them setting up on a wooden crate at that level. I barely have any waste now. Before, I had sooo much waste, it was a shame.

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    What about the new born chicks and juvies? How can they reach it?
    I have 3 4 day old chicks that eat out of the feeder along with the adults, too cute.
    It is a hanging feeder, so is the water. I will see what I can find to hang them.

I'm making a zillion threads today, so I'll ask this here instead of making another, if that's ok with you guys?
    How do I know if the birds are under weight? I can feel that bone from their neck all the way down and around under them. Kinda seems shallow on either side, but I really have no clue...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I switched to pellets, which my girls really don't like. I found that if I wet the feed on the ground, under the feeder, they will gobble the spillage right up! It helps keep it tidy. I don't know why it makes it so appealing to them. LOL!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I put large black rubber pans under my hanging feeders. They catch the dropped food.

9. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

mine spill alot of crumble feed on the coop floor too i have my hanging feeder siting on a cinder block but i guess it an,t high enoughf i dnt knw what to do them little mess makers :]

10. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

i hang the feeder at just under eye level. this means they dont get their feet in the feeder. I use smaller feeders so i fill them every 2 to 3 days, on the day i refill them, i leave them out until the next day, forcing them to eat what crumbles did fall out regardless of my efforts. When i put my feeders on cinder blocks, they just jumped on the blocks and scratched the feed right out. my lil chicks waste alot, but i baby them although i do put thier feeder on an upside down jar lid or tupperware lid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by