Oh The Irony...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OtterCreekRanch, Sep 20, 2011.

1. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I posted a while back about some issues with the neighbor's bull getting into our pasture and breeding our cows every time they came into heat since we have decided to no longer keep a bull ourselves. We ended up in a big dispute with the neighbor because Texas law mandates that you have to put up fences to keep other people's cattle off your property rather than fence cattle into a property. Anyway we went through months of this. His bull was over here almost every day for awhile. We would call him and he would come and get his bull, usually not that day. We have ended up having to abort several of our cows. A couple more than once, because we breed for purebred calves and do not want mutt calves (worth significantly less money). The problem came down to the fact that the fences around here are pretty bad and older than me. At one point (2 years ago) he told us if we bought X supplies he would replace the fence between our pasture and his. We bought the supplies and had them to him the next day. Two years later the fence is still only partially replaced. The whole time this was going on I was very nice to him about the whole deal. Telling him I understood that bulls will be bulls and that it is hard to control a 1500 lb animal who doesn't want to stay home. A few weeks ago he finally finished fixing part of the fence in the back half of the property so that his cattle can no longer get onto our land.

Today I get the call. Our cows are over in his yard eating the flowers they just planted this weekend. I better come and get them immediately and when can they expect payment for the damage? Ummmm seriously? I am pretty sure your main point in one of our conversations we had was that in the state of Texas if you do not have the appropriate fence up around your property, the cattle owner's are not liable for any damage done to your property. We were told tough cookies about the cost of having our cows aborted (not to mention the strain on the cattle...aborting, specially more than once in a few months time CANNOT be good for their reproductive systems). What do you think I am going to tell you about your flowers? What comes around goes around. I am sick of this mess. This is beyond rediculous.

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] What a PITA to deal with. Too bad your cows didn't go eat his flowers a few months ago...

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you need to practice wiping that smile off your face before you go and see him.. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Not to sound harsh but since you already bought the fencing supplies you need to get out there and get that fence built properly then both yours and his problems will go away.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    A.T. Hagan :

Not to sound harsh but since you already bought the fencing supplies you need to get out there and get that fence built properly then both yours and his problems will go away.

Gotta agree with that.

Now, I would toally up the aborting bills, then ask him what the flowers cost. Take the cost of the abortions off the cost of the flowers and offer him that. I dont know what cow abortions cost, but I bet its more than his flowers.​

7. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:Your to nice. I would have dropped that bull the first time he bred the cows and been eating steaks all year long. [​IMG]

Of course if the neighbor really pushes the flower damage payment slap him with the abortion bills.

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    At the very least, the bull could have brought flowers! [​IMG]

9. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    A.T. Hagan :

Robert Frost Good fences make good neighors.​

10. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Gotta agree with that.

Now, I would toally up the aborting bills, then ask him what the flowers cost. Take the cost of the abortions off the cost of the flowers and offer him that. I dont know what cow abortions cost, but I bet its more than his flowers.

Agreed, you'll pay for the flowers when he pays for the problems the bull made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by