Oh the love of pigeons/birds and mixing them up

TerryQui

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Columbus Ohio
I have bred green cheek conures for ten years until this year when I passed my breeding pairs onto a friend.
Instead now I have pigeons and they are outside. I started with a pair of white ones that we thought might be a male and female but turned out to be both girls. So I got a male for one and mated it in a separate cage and they have had one clutch and are on eggs now.
In the meantime I have always loved fantails and found two on craigs list. They are very pretty boys. I can't seem to find any girls for them. One is red and one dark grey mixed colors. They are pet quality and not sure but part indian/american mixed. One has feathered legs and the other not.
Anyway, I have chickens also but decided since we live in the city, that they were too noisy for the neighborhood so I rehomed my silkies whom I adored but were loud during the day and I kept my two mixed big reds that I raised from eggs and are now going on five years old. Sense and Sensibility are their names. They look Road Island Red but they are mixed with americana and one laid a blue egg and one a brown. lol. Both are spotty layers now, but still healthy and alive.
Well I had enclosed their run due to hawks in the area. So I now have pigeons living in their run and sleeping in the pigeon coop. I also have bunny coops out there that are high off the ground and I feed the pigeons in there and keep the doors open so they go in and out and eat there and the chicken girls eat all that falls on the ground.
The area is about 13 by 50 feet and has a nice aviary net over the top and it is fenced in. Everyone is closed in and safe and the pigeons fly around in there. I love it. My white pair lives out on the front porch in a 4 x 4 x 6 foot aviary and they are breeding out there.
Out back I have their first two babies, the other girl that is not mated and a rescue white homer that someone found. So four whites out back and the two fantails.
Well the male fantail mated with one of the white girls and now we are going to have some mixed babies. I am not sure whether to allow this to happen again or not. I don't want to mess things up and have a bunch of mixed and confused looking birds.
I hate the thoughts of separating them and I hate tossing eggs. Oh the dilemmas of a breeder at heart.
What do you all do with mixed aviaries??? Share please? Thanks.
Their coop.

The aviary out front. I have Christmas lights on it. My hubby build a roof for it this summer. So it doesn't look like this now.

Sense and Sensibility love to come to visit me in the house. :)

The aviary last winter. I need to take a more updated photo. :) It goes way out beside the house.

White homers and fantails a lot mated together n excellent results, so your two male fantails to your two female white homers are great idea! I've seen many good results from..

Really? Do you have any photo's of what they might come out looking like? Thanks. We have two babies here a few days old that I can't wait to see what they bloom into. :) It will be like little Christmas presents to open. lol

I am going to get white fantails out of that crossing? OMFREAKING GOSH! I want those! lol. I was afraid I would get spotted cows. The boys are not spotted but I thought if you mix up a black/grey bird with a white bird, you would get a mixed colored mess.

Back
Top Bottom