Oh the roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crayon, Nov 28, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    We offed "Crazy Bird" last Tuesday- he bit my daughter in the face, spared my husband and that was IT!

We have 12 hens, and now 2 roosters. Well.... My wonderful 2nd in line SLW rooster tried to spar my 6 year old today... I have noticed from the second we took Crazy Bird off the property that Pot Pie was a bit fast to run at us- now this....

So, is there any possible way I can have a rooster who is not a mean ass??? My other rooster is a Partridge Rock and thus far seems nice- but he is already much taller than my SLW but about 12 weeks younger....

I am just sad and grumpy... They are free rangers and I wanted a rooster to protect them- but not be mean to my little girl!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it depends on the individual. Some roos are docile while others are more aggressive.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Get a breed that is more known to be docile for a rooster. If you are around them enough, they just see you as furniture or the treat giver.

Neither of my roosters are bad with kids. I have a silkie roo and a BR cockerel. You could always try to correct the behaviour as well. http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sometimes I think it's luck.......I've got a really nice Coronation Sussex rooster.....he's very docile. And I've also got a Buckeye rooster, who is a very good gentleman. I do keep them separated though.......So far, no attacks on my self or the family, and the older one is 2 years old......

If I have a problem, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! (Especially when it comes to little children...)

5. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    So sorry to hear about this, one should only have to dispatch a chicken by plan, not because of emergency, you have my sympathies. We started out with 4 roosters (3 black australorp + 1 barred rock) and have since removed all but the barred rock from our flock. Each removal changed the flock dynamics and, consequently, the personality/behavior of the remaining roo's. We had a bully rooster who led the other two australorps into trouble, but when we gave away one of his flunkies, he became the low man on the totem pole and his other flunky became top dog, even more trouble than the original bully, so he quickly became next on our hitlist. The remaining roo went as a gift to them man who relieved us of our guineas, leaving us with the one barred rock roo. I don't believe australorp roo's are more prone to bad behavior, since the first one we gave away joined a new flock and his owner can't say enough good about him. I think it was just the dynamics of a flock with 4 roos, 7 hens, 2 turkeys, and 6 hateful guineas that was responsible for the acting out, and the only reason it was the barred rock we kept was because he had been our pet from the beginning.

Maybe this post will be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=479197

I
    tried to find the one I read a while back where a young chicken raiser was advised to "sit on" his rooster ( not crushing the bird, just immobilizing him under you), but I can't find it now.

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    never had a problem with my barred rock roo's....... 2 of them... both great with everyone, even a 2 year old... 1 of their mixed offspring started getting mean, he tasted real good......get another roo, eat the mean ones...

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My roosters generally don't cause a problem, except one. He attacks. He is very strong on the protect- at -the- least- offense. Yet another rooster of the same breed is very docile and wouldn't be much protection to the flock. My SSH is top dog; a tiny bird full of spit fire; he rules all the roosters but keeps away from people. Waiting to see if any of the Marans take over--I don't expect they will.

Raptor is a mentally tough boy and I can see him facing down a coyote; Henry? He would run for cover!

Our children come first--my boys carry a stick and while it has been a process, they have learned how to work around Raptor and have gained courage themselves as their own abilities to cope with an offensive rooster increases. THey do know where that bird is at all times! [​IMG]

I threaten "soup" and the boys are the first to shout "NO!" Go figure . . . .

8. emerald eyes

emerald eyes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    What is a good ratio of roos to hens?

I have 5 roos, 24 pullets (they are all about 4 months old)

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by