Oh the torture!--Update--5 new ducks and pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, May 1, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Last night I had four duck eggs with pips. . . .this morning, I still have four duck eggs with pips! These little boogers are slow! They are making progress (Either deeper pips or more of them) but it is soooooo slow.
    Come on babies, come out already! What am I supposed to do with myself today?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Duct tape your hands to your sides. Just walk away......
    I was messing around in the hatcher today and dropped an egg. (I know, verbally abuse me now, I'll feel better.)

3. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Oh no, I am sorry about your baby! [​IMG] I am always paranoid I will drop one. . .
    I have one zipping now!!!
    The rest are still very slow to progress. . .but I think this one will be out soon!!!!! [​IMG]

4. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    One little ducky, all the way out!!!![​IMG]
    Another one slowly working at it.
    [​IMG]

5. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    The one I dropped this morning hatched successfully! I'm so surprised! Congrats on your ducky!

6. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Two out now!!!! [​IMG]
    The first one is still rather "wet" looking though, altho s/he has been in the incubator all day. . .like her down is plastered down. The other one already looks far more fluffy and dry than her, even though it came out much later. . .When I shine the flashlight in the egg s/he came out of, there does look to be a little yolk left inside. . .do you think this is okay?

7. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    If there's just a bit of yolk left, you're probably fine.

8. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Oh, good. With my chicks there wasn't even a trace.
    I have too more completely zipped now. I think they are just teasing me. They are all the way zipped but just hanging out in their eggs. Come on now, that's just not *nice* [​IMG]
    I am alternating between reading posts on hear and staring at the window saying "come on, babies!"
    I think I will be doing this all night! [​IMG]

9. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Yay! this morning I have 5 ducks, two runners and three white crested (out of seven developed eggs).
    For some reason the other two ducks never even pipped out of the air cell [​IMG]
    But the 5 that did are healthy and happy and already eating and drinking, even though they can hardly walk! Duckies start as piggies quick! LOL.
    Here are some pics:

This is the best picture I have ever managed to take in my incubator:
    [​IMG]

These two were the first out (the others were still drying out in the incubator when I took this pic):

[​IMG]

Duckie love:
    [​IMG]

The best group pic I could get:
    [​IMG]

This is my duck that came from an egg with a detached air cell, oozing crack, and floating air bubble. So he is special, I think!:
    [​IMG]

This one had a wee problem: Zipped his hole too far at the top and then couldn't quite fit out. LOL. By the time I took him out of the incubator to help he was completely dried off, just a little loosening of the shell and he squirmed right out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Aww they are so cute !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by