OH this was scary!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We let our 8 week old pullets out to free range for the first time ever! They were in their coop only for two weeks...then we let them out in their run for two weeks...they put themselves to bed pretty much from the first night on. One straggler first night but not bad...NOW we tried letting them out in the yard. Our yard is NOT fenced in but we let them out for only two hours while we are out there with them. They LOVED it! Just loved it! And at dusk they all went in by themselves...one was lost and could not find the door but once she did she went in too [​IMG] Shut the door and turned off the lights [​IMG] I'm happy to know that we CAN successfully free range our chickens. I realize that they cannot be left alone so we will spend a few hours with them every night after dinner. What a good day!!!

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    That's really cool! I'm hoping to do the same with my chickens in a month or so. It must have been scary to let them loose and hope that you'd get them back.

One of my BOs got out of the run last night, the poor thing just kept trying to get back in. [​IMG]

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I know what you mean.

Two days ago I put the guineas out for the first time - I thought they might run off and I'd never see them again.
    Fat Chance !!

All they seem to want to do is go back into the coop - they want to be with the chickens, LOL. I moved their feed and water over by the other fence, and have to herd them over there to eat - once they eat, they go back to the coop/run pen and circle it for a couple of hours before taking a nap on the coop porch rail.

Is this NORMAL??

Peace -
    Meriah

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's what I like to do also. Sometimes if it's just a really hot day, I'll let them out so they can find the coolest spot possible to go. Congrats on crossing over the free ranging bridge! [​IMG]

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

what a good day!! [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Last year I let my new banties out to free range and by the time it was pretty dark is about the time I went out to close the coop. Well all the older ones had put themselves to bed, but the younger ones were no where to be found. Boy was I frantic. I had to get a flashlight and do a search, which is pretty hard I am sure you know, not much light there. Finally I took a living room lamp with a long extension cord and lit up the whole back yard. I found them all hunkered down close to the coop under bushes. Well that was good. Had my adrenaline going though. [​IMG]

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That IS scary - congrats! Glad it worked. I want to let my 6 week old BO's out too but I'm afraid. Their coop is in the garage and it's SWELTERING in there. I set up a fan and yesterday when I got home I misted them with the hose. I'm too terrified to let them out.

Did they even try to fly anywhere? If mine go over the chain link fence they will be snacks for the neighbors dogs.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:Orpingtons wont fly when they are older but at that age they may fly some. Maybe you could try a piece of chicken wire in a large loop (playpen style) for them to get out in the yard. I did this before and it worked out well. I would set it up right under my living room window so I could watch them. And I would also take cloths pins and pin flat sheets to the top of the 'playpen' to keep out the sun and predators. Then I wouldnt have to mow the grass there either. (added benefit) [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Orpingtons are the first chickens I had. I took them out in a basket at about 3 weeks and set them in the bushes and they all flopped on their sides at the same time and rolled their eyes back and were flopping in the dirt. I thought I had poisoned them all and they were all dying at the same time. [​IMG] Later I found out this is a dust bath ritual. [​IMG]

OK Sorry to get off topic!

I am glad they all made it home Hangin! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] Hoooooooray for free ranging!! [​IMG] Glad they all made it back okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by