1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh Those Broodies...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VolailleAmant, Feb 7, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Hi!
    Are there certain months of the year that hens tend to go broody?
    I have a Silkie hen that has began to lay a week or so ago, and I was just wondering, can you force a hen that tends to be broody to actually go broody?
    Thank you!

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    They go broody on their schedule, not ours.

1 person likes this.
  3. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Do you know if anyone can actually [sort of] force one to brood?
    thank you!

4. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    No you can't force a hen to go broody. It's all hormones. But just wait a bit and she will most likely go broody. All my silkies do

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can't force them.

I do believe you can tempt them. I think the feel of a clutch of eggs under them can help trigger the hormonal changes that cause brooding. It's by no means a certain thing, but in my mind, doesn't hurt to try when I want a broody. I've used either real eggs, well marked with a Sharpie and later sacrificed, or fake eggs/golf balls/whatever. Keep 6-8 in the nest the hen uses.

If she's just started laying, give her a month or so. That should be about right for both her laying and time of year.

1 person likes this.
  6. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you very much! That completely answered my question.
    Do you raise Silkies?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not "raise", really. I have a silkie hen who is from spring 14, she's a hatchery bird so not much to look at but has been a dependable broody. I have a silkie rooster from the same batch. I've hatched a few pure silkie chicks, but mostly mixes of silkie and bantam Cochins. I have a few of those hens also to be my broody hens. I'm more interested in hatching large fowl, so most of them only get to set on about 6 eggs.

I did add another buff silkie pullet this year, and two silkie cockerels. the cockerels are going over my Delaware pullets for sex linked chicks, they'll be similar to the goldentops found in the UK. I may also put them over some of my barred hens for black sex link chicks. Who knows what the breeding pens may churn out this year? Lots of possibilities [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Isn't it fun to breed? I am going to try to breed and hatch some mixed breeds this year, including : Belgian Mille Fleur d'Uccle, Silver Sebrights, Splash Silkies, Brassy Back Old English Game, and Buff Silkies.
    I am showing some this year also[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by