Oh those darn broodys

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockyToggRanch, May 13, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have 3 hens fighting over a nest. The one australorp just hatched 10 eggs a month or so ago and left the chicks alone when they were 2 weeks old. Bad mommy. The other 2 are sumatras who have not hatched eggs yet.

I didn't want anymore chicks! But I don't have the heart to end it. I marked the 12 eggs and won't leave them any more than that.

Anyone in this area want chicks in a few weeks?? or now?? I have a few dozen to spare.

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I feel you pain! I had 4 broodies, ordered some eggs, had a bad hatch and now I have 2 broodies with a tenuous relationship over 3 chicks. Another broody sitting on 6 eggs from my own flock and the final broody sitting on half dozen turkey eggs. My husband just shakes his head when I sneak a few eggs under a broody because I just can't seem to resist.
    When my hens (the australorps are famous for this) abandon the chicks after a week or two, they gravitate toward my rooster. Being the ultimate gentleman, he watches over them and will even let them huddle beneath him.

3. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's a good rooster.

My chicks have been free ranging in the woods all alone. They come in at night, but don't join any of the other groups. So far they're all still here.

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    that's good. I generally loose a few, for whatever reason, they just disappear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by