1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh Well i tried lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBoy88, Jan 4, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Well y'all i tried the incubator i made i can't get the temp and humidity on point so tomorrow i'm going to Southern State
    it's a farmers store and i'm going to buy an incubator with tuner and fan it's $100 an thats as cheap as incubator are around my area...lol and the incubator i made i'm going to keep as a brooder

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG]

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    How far off is the temp and humidity ?? Is it in a room that keeps a fairly even temp ??

We heat with wood so there is a big up/down in the temps and humidity thru the house. I try to keep the bator in a room far from the woodstove so there is less fluctuation.

Good luck !!

Julie [​IMG]

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I find with my homemade one it takes a LOT of fiddling to finally get the temps where I want them. I've also put mine in a big plastic cooler, and covered it with blankets. It's holding much better.

I can certainly understand your frustration, though. It takes me DAYS to finally get mine exactly where I want it.

I've also found that keeping eggs in it while I'm fiddling (even unfert ones) helps me keep the temps more stable.

Meghan

5. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    a friend of mine with a homemade cooler bator fills the bottom of the cooler with 1 liter plastic bottles filled with water, then puts the wire bottom on top of the bottles. After he puts his eggs in he fills any open floor space with more water bottles standing up. He says it really helps stablilize his temps to very consistant temps.
    Makes sense, air tempature can change with a little draft every time you open the cooler, but it takes alot longer to change the tempature of 5 gallons of water spread throughout the cooler. He even uses a small 6 oz baby bottle with the thermometer probe pushed through the nipple into water as his temp gage. He laughed at me when I showed him my water wiggler with eye balls in it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps

Aloha,
    Cory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by