oh what a beautiful morning

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happi752, Sep 15, 2009.

1. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My roos started crowing at 4 am this morning. At 6 am hubby and I went outside. First was a nice walk through the veggie garden. Ugghhh kangaroo rats or prairie dogs are eating my tomato plants. Hope we have fixed the problem.

Then we went out to the hens and fed them. They are always so eager to see me in the mornings. Hubby goes in where the turkeys and roos are. Some of the roos are mean. The meanest one found himself swimming in a pot of dumplings last month.

The two tom turkeys they love for me to come out to them and beg to be petted. One of them will strut his stuff for me until I pet him. It is adorable to see him blow up and strut 2 feet in front of me.

Then I check the breeding pen. We have 3 white hens and the white roo in there and collect their fertile eggs each day.

Then I come inside and I turn the eggs in our home made bator. Ahhhhhh such is life. Life is good.

15 hens 8 roos 2 toms 5 dogs 1 cat 10 eggs incubating and soon 2nd bator will be full and ready to hatch out.

Yes life is good.

2. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Could you give me some pointers for a homemade bator. I tried, and failed. I dont know if it was befause they were shipped eggs or not. I had it set at even temp and humidity. Turn 2 times a day....
    Any help would be great. Im getting the itch again.

3. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    And yes, life is good.

4. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Unfortunately my mornings are so hectic trying to get out the door my birds get a quick check of food and water and open pop hole door.

I don't get to enjoy them until I get home from work. Then I let them out (can't free range during day, we have a hawk who ate my roo) and throw them some treats. I love to watch them scratch around for food!

I don't know what I am going to do when it gets dark before I get home!

5. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    this is my first hatch in our home made bator. I have 10 eggs in there right now. i just follow everyone else's advice here and keep my temps as close to 99.5 as i can and the humidity level at 50%.

wow im sorry you dont have time to stop and smell the roses. life is very slow paced around here for us. even our girls dont get in a hurry to lay eggs. usually none lay til late in the afternoon. hahahahaha

6. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Where are you located? You have Kangaroo rats! lol not fair i love those little things [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by