oh what not to feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fratmor, Jan 26, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I would love to know what not to feed my chickens. I would love to give them table scraps but which do you give.

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

At the moment, I can't put my finger on anything that they can't eat!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I give mine everything. They don't care much for pickled stuff (vinegar I guess) or citrus stuff, or mushrooms, or raw onions. Avoid heavy salt, but we usually don't have enough of anything salty to matter. Don't feed them anything that is growing fuzz.
    Almost anything we eat (and some that we don't) is fine in moderation. There's a treat chart floating around here somewhere...

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    A bunch of sweet stuff isn't good for them.
    Giving it to them every once in a while is OK, just not often.

5. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21530

This
    is the link to the treat page. It's up at the top under this same topic. Mine love EVERYTHING ! When they were younger they didn't like green peppers [​IMG]
    But since then, they have changed their minds. They love meat scraps. When we had shrimp ( a loooong time ago) they loved the heads, shells and anything else that was left over. Now, they are just little dinosaurs.... and I am almost afraid now when I walk into the run empty handed....

[​IMG]

6. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    Kacey's Krazee's.\\, thanks that is the list I was looking for.

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Mine will eat almost anything except citrus.
    There are some things you probably shouldn't give them, though. My girls love avocados but apparently they're not good for birds. Dark chocolate isn't good for them, nor is a lot of sugar. However, if a scrap of avocado, sugary treat or chocolate finds its way into my table scrap bucket and tossed to the girls, it's not going to kill them.
    Chickens are omnivores and scavengers. They are indiscriminate foragers. If you can eat it, for the most part, so can chickens. In fact, they'll eat stuff we wouldn't touch, like slugs, toads, mice and centipedes!

I believe most modern city people-turned-rural have lost a lot of the common knowledge farm families knew for generations about how to care for livestock. We often base ideas on what to feed animals on what's trendy, politically correct , "healthy" or "organic". From talking to my father in law (who grew up on a farm and took care of all sorts of animals), chickens can get by on very little and do just fine. We worry too much!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    We give them everything but I try to limit their fruit. I have heard that it can slow egg laying. However we do have an apple tree that they just love!

9. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    I have read that they shouldn't have any type of beans or potato skins. The other night my girls went crazy over mandarin oranges!

10. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    I have read that they shouldn't have any type of beans or potato skins. The other night my girls went crazy over mandarin oranges!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by