oh what to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain2, Dec 25, 2008.

1. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    newbie here,
    here is my first problem. i am wanting about 5-6 egglayers. can't have a roo. i know from what i have read sexing baby chicks is not very accurate. when i go to get chicks should i buy like 10 and cull any roo's or extra's. i don't like that option but i think i would have a tough time finding new homes. i was wanting rir's and barred rocks, i like the these birds from what i have read about them. i know i could go with sex links, but i am not crazy about their looks, black or red. seem kinda plain, but would consider them if they could pop out more eggs than my first choice. i also heard they can be a little aggressive towards each other (pecking order) so that turns me off too.

plus i have only know one place to get them, at my local "rural king", and i don't know what types they will carry. mail order wouldn't work cause i would need a min order of 15-25 and i don't want that much.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I've heard other users mention My Pet Chicken because you can order a small number of chicks like 3, 4, 5... , and I think they're supposed to be already sexed. You might try them...

ETA, and btw, welcome to byc!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Does the "rural king" only carry straight run chicks? My local feed store sells straight run and just pullets. Of course, there are mix ups sometines and you "may" end up with a cockeral that was supposed to be a pullet.

I like both the RIRs and the BRs. They are calm and are good layers.

As for the sex links, they are more for production and lay large to ex-large brown eggs. I have several, only black, right now. I think that they are pretty. They have the red on their necks and chests. Some of mine have a green hue to them, when the sun hits them a certain way.

I have also had Golden Sex Links and I loved them. They are orangish red with white feathers also. I lost all of mine to a coon attack. They were very tame and laid very well.

As for you question, if you buy 10 and get 10 pullets, then would you rehome the 4-5 extras? I had some extra roosters and I had no problem finding them a new home. I do not know where you are located, so it just may be easier to get rid of them where I am located.

Just my opinion, but I hope that it helps.

Good luck.

4. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i will check them out, but don't they send roo's as packing peanuts?

5. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I believe that you can request that no packing peanuts be included in your oder. I am not sure, so I hope that someone that has done business with them will chime in here and aswer. If not, then you could always ask them before you place an order.

6. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I don't know how much you are wanting to pay for a chicken, but there is someone on here trying to sell some 6-8 month olds for $8./hen.
    This person is in Clark County, IL I do not know how close that is to you, but maybe it will help. I have posted the link and hope that it works for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113124&p=1

Edited to add: They are not RIRs or BRs, but they are all hens and laying.

7. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i am not sure what they sell or how yet, last time i was there i only could only find kids that didn't know much, but i do know they sell baby chicks every spring. i am sure they sell both ways but i am sure there will be mistakes, even by mail. thats what i gather from this forum.
    i am just east of st. louis in between some corn fields. i don't know anybody that has chickens, although i am sure there are a few people around here. i do have untill spring to find possible homes though.

who would have better production over a long peroid of time, say 2-3 yrs the sex link or rir's and br's.
    i am guessing they have the same rate the first year and eggs would be larger with the sex links?

8. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    babyboy1_mom
    thats what i would really like to do , but you tell my daughter and niece's i am not going to get little baby chicks..........they won't stop asking me if its time.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My Pet chicken will NOT add male packing peanuts no matter how few you order. They may add an extra sexed female if you ordered all females. HOWEVER, my sexed pullets I ordered were 50/50 male/female. While there is a margin of error that was pretty bad........same odds as straight run?

Honestly, the Red sex links are so pretty. However, if you think they are plain you think they are plain. They lay some really HUGE eggs and tons of them, though, and you KNOW they are girls!!! Oh, and all the black sex links I have been around, while not as pretty IMO as the red, have enough personality for 20 chickens!!

10. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    well i guess mypetchicken will work,
    it seams a little weird getting baby chicks in the mail. but they are gaurenteed according to the site. i could always get all types. i am sure i will get attached to them no matter what they end up looking like.........any one breed that will stand the test of time? i don't have room for a lot of chickens so i am wanting to get more cluck for the buck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by