Oh where oh where do I go for French Black Copper Marans!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by featherfriendlyinIowa52, Oct 19, 2011.

1. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I don't have chickens yet. I'm doing my homework and will purchase either hatching eggs or day-old chicks (preferably) in the Spring 2012. My homework, however, is killing me. It seems Marans are the chicken of the moment and I'm so afraid I'll end of with the equivalent of overbred Cocker Spaniels from the 50's and Yorkies of the past decade (I'm a dog lover too). I know, a nice dog can be ruined in just 2 generations of irresponsible breeding, so I'm sure this is happening to the Marans as well. I've emailed reputable breeders but they don't respond. Other sites state their birds are from "Wade" or "Davis" lines, which would be great if they continue a reasonable culling practice, but I'm pretty sure they're in it for the money (well, after all, we ARE Americans) and breed everything that peeps. Now that I've ranted a bit, where have YOU bought your BCM's from and, more importantly, were you happy with the results? By the way, I won't show. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and when family/friends ask me "What kind of chickens are those?!?!?", I want to proudly state "They're Black Copper Marans!"...am I crazy? [​IMG]

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    This place is a good source of information and also a good place to buy and sell

Yesterday was a post form a lady selling 10 maran chicks for $50 plus shipping
    This is the link ask her
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586676

I once wanted to buy from those very well known breeders but ...hell no

Lots of money for a dozen of eggs and end up with 1 or 2 roos at the end

Go for chicks

here is a current auction going on
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586338

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We bought our first hatching eggs at a Chickenstock-- totally unexpectedly. Out of 19 eggs we hatched 11, lost some to predator attack and ended up with laying 3 hens and fortunately a choice of a nice looking rooster. We did sell some eggs locally this spring but were very honest explaining where we got them and saying: this is what we are starting with. We have had some hatching issues and have not yet ironed them out to our satisfaction. This year's goal was to have enough hens next spring to selectively breed. We MIGHT have enough. I'll let you know next spring! I think it all depends upon what you are looking for. I want dark eggs and not to stray too far from from the standard to get them. If someone wants some hatching eggs next spring I will sell them locally with the same proviso: WYSIWYG
    Also, we weren't charging breeder prices for the eggs- just helping others start out like we are.
    From all I have read on BYC, marans are not yet consistent in breeding true. We can easily tell our hens apart and know who lays which egg. Maybe in a few years we will have truely defined our own line but until then, WYSIWYG and that's what I will tell you.

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I would go to one of the Marans club websites and look at the breeder listings. You're more likely to get something of decent quality that way than on craigslist. Personally, I get tired of hearing "I have so-and-so line." Once you have them on your farm and you've bred and hatched them, they're your line.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sitting on the sidelines and watching, I see a lot of breeders concentrating on egg color.

You really need to take the time to discuss the breeder's breeding goals. If they are a serious breeder, you won't be able to get them to shut up about it.

I, for one, don't want to buy without knowing what the background is. That means I want to know what lines. I don't want to get stuck with sub-standard birds from some "breeder" who started with hatchery birds and hasn't done anything to improve them. So I want to know where their original birds came from and I want to hear about their breeding goals before I buy.

Reputation is everything since birds don't come with registration papers. You want to buy from someone who has the reputation for honesty and quality birds.

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    We sell hatching eggs and can ship chicks although I prefer local pickups. There are a lot of reputable sellers. But please be sure they know what they are talking about! I can't tell you how many people I talk to who say they are considering a hatchery. You can't get true Marans at a hatchery. It's even worse with Ameraucanas. You will find your way! Whenever you're ready, I'll be happy to help and I know others on here will as well.

7. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I have Cuckoo Marans and I ordered my pullets from Ideal Hatchery. I got great service and good quality chicks, plus I could order as few as 5.

8. featherfriendlyinIowa52

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Thank you all for your responses and sound advise. I apologize for my not getting back sooner, but my hub and I have been busy building my tractor while we still have nice days. I'm starting with chicks to make sure I have birds in the end. Will only use a bator with my own eggs for starters having had no experience with this, but won't count my chickens before they hatch!

9. featherfriendlyinIowa52

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    As far as ordering Marans from a hatchery, I've heard more positive comments about Ideal than perhaps others. Murray Mcmurray is only twenty minutes from my home, but even their positive reviews commented that the eggs were light brown, not dark as advertised. That made me wonder about the employees' knowledge of their own breeds. I've also decided on Ameracaunas (my spelling may be off a little...sorry) and Wyandottes...perhaps a couple of golden polish for the laughter factor. I'm sooooo looking forward to Spring.

10. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    I know Flash Point Farm has all those breeds that you listed and she would be just a couple hour drive for you. I am more than happy with the birds I have gotten from her. She sells started chicks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by