1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh yeah, rotisseried Duck for Dinner . . .

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by keeperofthehearth, Nov 14, 2008.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yummmmmm! One of our spring Mallards, DH left his skin on and I made my harvest rub I use on chicken. Oh, he was soooo tasty! DH was so impressed he now says he will give more consideration to raising ducks for meat. [​IMG] I love the taste of duck. All dark meat. I'm still in the afterglow of that wonderful taste. I'm thinking Muscovies would be a good table bird. Anyone raise Mucovies for meat?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Here,here me i got them. I just sold one for 50 smackers yesterday, now i only have one left for eating. But i have three females and one male that i will keep for breeding. So if the good lords willing and the creek dont rise i should have plenty of ducklings and eggs next year for selling and keeping. I love thei len meat and just like you my favorite way of making duck is on my Ronco rotisserie.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I raise Silver Appleyards and they very much are for meat. [​IMG]

4. keeperofthehearth

Wow, Connie $50 for one duck? I haven't priced Muscovy ducks yet but mayhap I will need to. [​IMG] Congrats!! That $50 wasn't to eat him was it? Can you tell me what you like about the Muscovy vs other ducks? By the by, I haven't heard
    So if the good lords willing and the creek dont rise

in quite some time. [​IMG]
    Love it!!!!!​

5. keeperofthehearth

Greyfields, what do you like about the Silver Appleyards? Have you raised anyother ducks for meat?

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They are pretty and they are large. Those were my two requirements. I enjoy looking at them in my pasture.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:in quite some time. [​IMG]
    Love it!!!!!

yea i have my nostalgic 5 minutes right now. The price was for eating https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id= read this i explained how i suckered the money out of the dude. Oh almost forgot ,scovies are waay leaner than other ducks they have hardly any fat at all. THose nice 40-50$ gourmet duckbreasts you can buy online are almost all muscovy
    http://www.grimaud.com/duck.htm http://www.blackwing.com/product_shop.php?pcnm=muscovy+duck some folks charge 40$ for a muscovy hen and my drakes are 9+ pounds

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you love duck then you MUST get some geese!

9. keeperofthehearth

[​IMG] Oh, Miss Prissy, we have no place for geese! I've heard they are very, very messy and they are sooo big! I just about have DH convinced on Muscovies because I've read that they are quiet and don't need to swim around plus big meaty birds. Those Mallard boys we had were the messiest things when it came to water! [​IMG] Figured Muscovies might be a nice balance between a small duck and a large goose.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Geese like water but not like ducks like water. They graze grass and need minimal feed during the heaviest part of summer. They don'e eat animal proteins. They do make big poops but they also make big dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by