1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ohhh my goats....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mom2Munchkins, May 7, 2009.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Alright, here's my mini dilemma... We have pygmy goats, some have horns some don't... It's not an issue for us. Every now and then my buck and one of the does will bang horns. I figure, whatever, they're goats. But I just got 4 new goats, three are pygmy does, and 1 nubian wether. My pygmy doe (with horns) and the wether (without horns) were really butting heads earlier, so I seperated them just because I couldn't be over there to supervise all day. I am just nervous about the wether getting hurt. I REALLY don't want this to turn into a horn debate. I will not be banding any of my horned babies, but I just don't know what to think about this wether. He had to go with the does when I took them, so I just feel bad. Any advice on this?? Will they just get used to each other?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I have a mixed horns/no horns herd, too. They'll quit eventually. He might cut his head up a little, FYI...but they won't do any real damage. He'll give up when he gets a headache, [​IMG]

3. lilhill

lilhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree with Kate. I had the same situation here, and the disbudded ones learned not to mess with the horned ones.

4. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I have my pygmies and to be honest I'm not sure I would buy any that were disbudded. I hate the idea of it...and they make such great handles.

I've not had any problems with any of them doing damage to the others even with the two Nanny's who don't quite get along. One is very dominant. She just gently uses her horns to let the other know to move along.

They do butt heads but it's never hard, you never even hear much more than a clicking sound. Even when they were first put together the head butting wasn't much harder than I would imagine would give them a good headache.

The wether will get the message and learn to fit in pretty quickly I would imagine.

Laney

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have 2 goats that were disbuddied but the horns grew back, ugly looking , they bang heads and because of the weird horn thing sometimes one gets bloodied, but it really dose not seem to bother them. I would just let nature take its course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by