Ohhh no!! Hawks nearby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamatink7, Jun 7, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Brought all babies out today, youngest 4 are 3wks old yesterday and other 16 are 6wk tomorrow but separated them by putting babies in smaller run and others in new run. Things were working great until I started seeing hawk shadows on the ground. I started pulling them inside again but felt bad cause wasn't as long as the big ones were out yesterday (830-330 due to storms coming).
    Anyways....how do we protect them from sky predators? Our run isn't 100% permanent and coop isn't 100% either. Put the dogs in the run to help and it did get Hawks to fly off and up for a time.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I have had hawk problems and after researching and researching the best solution I have found is to cover the run area. I think there is an article in the Learning center on how to deal with hawks though I'm not sure.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can cover your run in either bird netting or go all the way with a weather and predator proof solid roof.

But that doesn't address how to protect your chicks and older chickens from hawks when they are out free-ranging. There is a certain amount of risk involved to be sure, but natural cover in the form of trees and shrubs will help, and if you have large open areas, building small chicken "ramadas" will give them something to duck under if they spot a hawk in the sky.

1 person likes this.
  4. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you, this is what we are thinking we may have to do. This dang weather is preventing coop from getting done!

5. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you. For right now, this is all they get-their run area will be their open free range space. I like the netting idea especially since he already is putting a pole in the center to hold waterer. The covering area is under coop and it hides them from predators, protects them from weather.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Don't buy "bird" netting. Look for what is called "deer fencing". It is a plastic netting that is stronger than the bird netting which is very lightweight. I have found that the hawks also do not seem to like that bright orange plastic netting/fencing for job sites. I got a quantity of it used for free and put up a band of it vertically all around the top of the pen fencing. Works well to keep adventurous birds from flying out and going AWOL when I don't want them to. Hawks have never gone near the run itself and they also do not like hanging strips of that flash tape around the perimeter of the yard.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Deer fencing is much stronger than bird netting, however, if it's just to keep flying predators out, even string woven back and forth across the top of your fencing will do the trick as hawks won't swoop in for fear of getting their wings snagged in the string. Some people even use knitting yarn.

The best solution is a covered run if you can afford it. It also keeps out predators that insist on climbing fences as well as rain and snow.

But do try to rig up some small shelters in your open spaces for when the chickens feee range out in the open.

8. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    nice thought! Never thought about the job site fencing.

9. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    We use Deer fencing to cover the chickens

10. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thx! Any idea where I can find any? I'm sure once we finish up we will close it off as precaution. We have strong winds here and any cloth cover is hit or miss. Deer cloth sounds more promising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by