OHHH NOOOO Power Outage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happi752, Sep 17, 2009.

1. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    I have had a power outage that lasted for almost 4 hours yesterday evening. The temps fell in the bator to 86 degrees. Out of the 10 eggs I have in there, 4 of them I couldnt see any movement when I candled last night.

I was just so sick to my stomach. I could not bear to toss out those eggs. I left them in there and will wait and recandle in 24 hours to see If I can see any movement.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

2. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    This has happened to me several times. Once even a broody hen got off the nest and the eggs were stone cold. But put in the incubator 13 of 14 hatched. I would give all the eggs a chance before giving up.

3. happi752

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    this is update. I just couldnt stand not knowing for sure so I candled them again this morning. Definitely no movement from 4 of them and blood rings starting to form. So I discarded them. But on the plus side, I still have 6 with strong movement inside them. They are safely inside the bator with auto turner. Pray no more power outages.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i can't comment anything, but trust me, you are much much luckier than me. [​IMG]

5. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    What incubator are you using?? If it's the HovaBator 1588 like mine you can run it off a 12 volt car, motorcycle, lawn mower battery. GQF sells the cables to do it. So, just keep a charged up battery next to the incubator for such an emergency.

I mention this because I didn't know this could be done when the power went out on me at 1:30am, so I got up out of bed & pulled out the generator to keep the incubator going.... and it was raining outside to boot!!

Matt

6. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    I had a power outage the first time I ever tried to hatch eggs. The power was off for several hours and it was one day before taking the turner out. When we loose power there is no telling when it will come back on. We can go out for 3 or 4 days easily. So I called good ole Mom and drove my eggs to her house (20 minute ride). I explained to her there is no way I will be transporting them back to my house until after they hatch. She agreed. We had a 70% hatch rate. Needless to say there were so many other issues with the hatch temperature spikes, I had a hard time keeping temperature steady and had some humidity issues. So I felt blessed that I had any chickies hatch. LOL:jumpy

7. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    I forgot to mention this happened in February.

8. happi752

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    After the power outage on 9/11 for almost 4 hours, the other 6 eggs are still in the bator and they seem to be doing just fine. I just candled them and the insides are getting pretty full now and this is just day 11. OMG 10 more days to go!!! Will I make it??? This is making me a [​IMG] nervous wreck. No, this is just a home made bator I built.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome!! [​IMG] I had an unplugged incubator OVERNIGHT Day 4. So far (Day 6), all seem to be developing nicely despite the 77 degree temp in the bator when I got up two mornings ago. Glad to hear yours are doing fine (minus the losses [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by