Ohhhh, I just love them! I got eggs to HATCH!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shayna, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    So I had terrible luck with the first eggs and several chickens I bought. None of the two dozen eggs hatched and it just seemed like nothing was going right. I was so sad. I bought 8 more eggs and put them in the incubator and forgot about them for the most part so if they didn't hatch, it wouldn't be so bad.
    Well lockdown was Friday, and I threw out all but 4 eggs because they were clear, had bloodrings, etc. In the 4, I couldn't see any movement, but they were dark, so I assumed they may have developed. I put them into lockdown, not really expecting anything out of it.
    ALL 4 OF THEM HATCHED!!! [​IMG]
    Their very first chicken photo shoot: (QUESTION - Any idea what color that light grey one with the red spot on it's head is called? They came from blue and black silkies.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Awww so cute!
    Congratulations on your 4 newbies [​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Congratulations on your new hatch! [​IMG]

I'm not a Silkie color expert, so I can't answer your question about the color, but they are REAL CUTE! [​IMG]

4. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    well done to you fantastic photographs [​IMG]

5. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    They're so precious!! Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks everyone, it was so perfect the first one hatched during the day Sunday when the whole family could watch! They couldn't be any cuter. I'd love to know if anyone else has had one hatch that looked similar to the one with the red spot, and how it turned out to look.

7. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Wow - those are some major cuties! I bet it's really hard to not just spend all day holding them. Adorable!!

8. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    See, I love the set it and forget it attitude. I've kind of adopted the same as you after realizing it was driving my crazy checking on my eggs every 5 minutes. I look at the temp, adjust if I need to but only if the temp is dangerous---but otherwise I'm leaving them alone. I'm doing a pretty dry incubation now.

I think sometimes we make things hard on ourselves by fussing with stuff too much. And look, you did GREAT!! They are adorable!!

9. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Exactly! I want to be at home all the time to watch them and hold them. They'll curl up and go to sleep in my hands and it's the cutest thing ever. [​IMG]

Quote:I absolutely made myself crazy obsessing over the first batch and then I was more heartbroken than my kids when none hatched. It was awful. I'm so happy to have babies this time around! It was a wonderful surprise to walk by the incubator and see 3 pips out of eggs I expected nothing from! The 4th pipped the next day (yesterday), and I didn't expect it to hatch either!

10. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    How stinkin' cute are they!! Congrats! Hope I can get mine to hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by