OHHHH The JOY of Fairboards!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by runamuck, Dec 2, 2008.

1. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Ok ..... Heres the issue ... Every yr our fairboard raffles off a butchered pig raised by one of the 4h familys that they donate to the raffle. The pig weighed in at 265 and was sent to butcher with all the other pigs..... The man who won the pig wanted it sent to one of the local butchers and when he went to pick up the pig they sent him home with 380 lbs of meat ( something fishy????) NOW..... It wouldnt of been an issue but this pig is old and tough as nails. He brought a crock pot full of meat that he had cooked for 12 hours it was like chewing rubber ( to last fairboard meeting). He is being a good sport about it but..... US as a fairboard are very upset with the processer and want a refund for the processing or him to buy the man a pig since somehow he tagged the animal wrong and mixed them up. I was there when the 4h pig was loaded so I KNOW what pig went to the processor. UGH!!!!! The fairboard sent a letter to the processor and given him a couple wks to make a decision about what he will do about it . If not we are looking to take him to court over it. What I want to know is how would all of you handle such a issue>
    Thanks
    Allie [​IMG]

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Rent pig costumes and picket outside his business.

[​IMG]

No? ....ok....

Ask someone else....

me,
    g

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Is this a USDA inspected facility? If so I think I would contact the local office and ask them what your rights are in a situation such as this...there have got to be rules in place.

Other than that I think you have handled the situation very well.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did the guy that won raffle know how much the pig weighed? If he did, he should have said something when the meat was picked up. If the processor was notified as soon as the error was discovered, the processor should have tried to track the error down and make it right. After all, there is probably another customer that was expecting 380 pounds of meat that thinks he was robbed too. It's a tough situation. If the fair board wants to complain and get reimbursed or have the pig replaced, the guy shouldn't be cooking the meat. He should be returning it to the processor in exchange for a pig similar to the one brought in by the fair board. If I was the processor, I would say, "bring the meat back for an exchange." If that wasn't possible, I would consider giving the guy a few nice steaks maybe. The processor screwed up and should replace the pig, but he should get the wrong pig back.

5. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Rent pig costumes and picket outside his business.

No? ....ok....

Ask someone else....

me,

lol [​IMG] Thanks I needed that ...... Jody the guy didn't know the weight... It was billed directly to us we found out when we got the invoice and 2 wks had passed before the fairboard met again. He only cooked a package of pork chops and the roast for us to prove that he wasnt a loony to prove his point that it was gross meat. What I think happened is that he had more orders then he could handle and mistagged it. We send Alot of buiness from the auction his way so I really feel he should do something to make it right on his own without us having to get all stinky about it. Another option we have is remove him from our place to take animals too. Which would be sad due to we had our pig and cow processed there and were entirely pleased. "sigh" such fun is my life [​IMG] I also get to revamp all the market small animal rules this yr and get them to change the fairbook since I am the only barn super in the history of the fair that "has a clue" [​IMG]

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    people make mistakes,give the burcher a chance to mnake it right..no sense burning bridges if you dont have too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by