Ohio Exotic Animals Let Loose - anyone loose their poultry?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AllCoop'dUp, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Just wondering if anyone in the Zanesville lost animals to this mayhem. What a shame they all had to be shot.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

What? Why did they have to be shot?[​IMG]

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:Because some idiot zoo keeper turned them all loose and then killed himself. He freed lions, tigers and bear, among others. There were 45 of them and they could not get tranqualizer guns there quick enough to deal with them. There was no option but to kill them.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/?hpt=us_c1

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Were any on the endangered species list? I bet a federal law was broken. I know daggum well there was a way to trap at least some of those animals.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    That story made me sick. How irresponsible of that man to do such a thing. I read quite a bit about it, it seems that he had quite a lengthy criminal record. Definitely not someone who should be in charge of dozens of dangerous animals. It's such a shame the animals had to pay with their lives for his poor decisions.

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:They trapped 3 leopards- a grizzly and two monkeys - Ohio sadly does not have alot of laws that stop people from owning such exotic animals - so anyone can

7. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:Because some idiot zoo keeper turned them all loose and then killed himself. He freed lions, tigers and bear, among others. There were 45 of them and they could not get tranqualizer guns there quick enough to deal with them. There was no option but to kill them.

I thought they said that because the animals were found wandering in the evening/night.. it was too dangerous to tranquilize them. One of the stories quoted Jack Hanna about it.. something about how its too dangerous to tranq a wild animal during the night when you can't see where it runs off to.

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT

I thought they said that because the animals were found wandering in the evening/night.. it was too dangerous to tranquilize them. One of the stories quoted Jack Hanna about it.. something about how its too dangerous to tranq a wild animal during the night when you can't see where it runs off to.

yes you are correct i read that too

9. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    a monkey and a wolf are still loose!!! [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I just saw on the news they killed 18 bengal tigers, only about 1400 left in the world. What a shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by