Ohio National problems with sick chickens afterwards?

Greenspur

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
NY State
Has anyone had problems with sick chickens brought home from the Ohio National? A friend of mine brought some chickens home (Australorps and Rocks) and they have been kinda dragging since then, and then he heard from someone else that there were some sick chickens in the sales area during the show. Just checking to see if others have any similar experience or know of others having trouble.
GS

I brought home 5 chickens. I've got one that's been sneezing on and off since bringing her home. Have a rooster that really sounded bad for a while (wheezing and such) Roo is doing fine now. The hen is still sneezing.

Other than that, they seem to be doing ok. One has even started laying.

Thanks for the reply. The Ohio National show itself was pretty awesome with lots of birds but the traders row area seemed a bit scary and not very sanitary. Some sale birds were great but others were crammed into cages and looking pretty sickly. My friends birds seem to be coming out of their funk
PC

u have to watch for that with every sale or show u get birds from, i've learned the hard way not all breeders r honest some r only in it for the money and will show nomater how sick they know their birds r. everyone needs to quarentein for 30 days min when buying or bringing birds back from any show and keep them seperated and practice strict biosecurity measures.

u r who protects ur birds don't ever assume someone else has done what it takes to protect them it's why i vaccinate to help protect my flock but they can catch about anything especially in a show that big.

That is one of the reasons I felt very strongly about only buying from one seller. I wanted to make sure they came from the same farm.

And I agree that the sellers row was a tad bit scary. I won't be going to any more big shows like that. Too much for me.

I just read your question about sick chickens form OH. show. I bought 15 birds, from 5 different breeders. Within 4 days I had lost 4 birds. 1 cock, 1 cockerel, 2 pullets. 2 of the birds were from the same breeder. It took about 7 days before a couple other birds came out of a "funk". My aunt bought 5 birds and 3 of hers died. Our birds were never around each other. I went over and over in my mind to see if it was something I did. I have been buying birds for about 7 years and I an confident it was not my fault they died. At least I was smart enough to quarantine them for 30 days, from our other birds. I was also taken a back with the condition that some of the birds were in, as well as the dishonesty that was going on.
On a brighter note. There are some really good people that sell there and they are willing to point you in the direction of a good bird if they do not have what you are looking for. My advice to everyone is to let the seller know what your wanting. (4-H birds, pets, layers, open show quality birds, breeders) Also examine the bird before buying, look at the toes, eyes, wings etc. very closely and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Overall= I love that shoe and will continue to buy there. Only with a little more caution. And if you are not happy with what you found there (conditions) Write to the board and make suggestions, or volunteer to help out.

Back
Top Bottom