Ohio National!!

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Nupine, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I had thought the Ohio National, one of the largest open shows in the U.S. and the largest youth show in North America, was held in Lucasville Ohio, like many other shows. Lucasville is about 8-12 hours from my house, and with gas prices, too far. But I just saw the ad in Backyard Poultry and found out it was in Columbus, which is only 2 hours away! So I can go! It is November 8-9, 2008. I really want to take my Sebright trio, as one of my pullets got Reserve Bantam in the Youth Show at the South East Ohio Poultry Breeders Association, but I don't know how she would stack up against the really good birds. It would just be me and my dad, as my mom would have to take care of my other animals and birds. I also would like to purchase some more Sebrights and maybe some silkies or something. [Maybe I could come home with some ducks and watch my mom go [​IMG] [​IMG] . [​IMG] ] The website shows the two hotels in the area, which are $85 and $89 a night, a little much, but I am sure there are lots of cheaper hotels a little farther away, it is Columbus for pete's sakes. I am just wondering how many nights people usually stay, is it one, two, or three nights? It is a two day show. Is the entrys expensive? Lots of birds for sale? Any other imput from those who have been there or comments would be great!!
    Ashlyn

2. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    There are all kinds of hotels in the area Nupine ... search on hotels.com or expedia.com, then go to the website for the hotel chain itself to make the reservations [​IMG] that's what I always do!

I'll probably come in on Friday and leave Sunday, so I'll stay 2 nights.

I didn't show last year, but purchased my sebright trio at the ON last year.

Entries are $3.50 each cage. Lots of sale birds, and lots of sebrights for sale. Matt Haehn and Don Krahe were both there last year. I think the Bennetts were too.

Are your sebrights silvers or goldens? Wondering if you're my competition - if they are goldens, and you enter open, you are [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi!
    I'm glad I saw this.
    My girls just showed their poultry at fair for the first time.
    One got a 1st place, 3rd place and 4th place. And the other got a 1st place in poultry showmanship, her age div.
    Great job for their first year!
    I was thinking of letting them decide if they would like to go to this show as well, but was wondering as well how they might do at something like that. Guess only way to tell is to go!

Is there a website that lists what days what are showing?
    Thanks a million!
    Angela

4. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    That is who I got my Sebrights from! The best male and female I got from one of them and one female from the other. They are such nice birds. Great, as $180 in hotels is a little much for a poultry show. Nice coop price! I have goldens, but would be in the youth show. [​IMG] Horsechick, you will never know untill you try, the website is www.ohionational.com I think. [​IMG] Thanks!
    Ashlyn

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i will be going this year, it will be our first time at ohio. we r really looking forward to it. hope to see some byc members there.
    silkie

6. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I'm going to the Ohio National! Whoop!! Um, to restate the original question kinda "Anybody have some insider info to share about this show?" Besides the website address.

7. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    I've seen the website, unfortunately its poorly done with info on this years show.
    I didn't see any schedules listed.
    Do you just show up with your birds and testing info?
    When/where/how much is it to sign up for classes?
    If anyone's involved with it, or knows someone involved with it, maybe they can come here and answer questions. We'd love to go.Not far at all.
    Take care,
    Angela

8. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    I wish they would do a better job of classes info etc.
    Seems like they just ASSume that everyone knows what they are doing, LOL!
    Very new user unfriendly.

I have to say for such a large show it seems very poorly thought out. None of the directors or president, vp have any contact info, unless you want to snail mail them......
    You would think a large club they would want for people, new and old, to be able to contact them to help a club grow.
    Guess not.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    ya can just show up with your birds to test. you should leave them in your car and come in and check in first.

If you come in on Friday, the building will be open from 11 am to 10 pm for cooping in.

Come in Saturday - the building opens at 7 am for cooping in
    Judging starts at 9am and runs until 6 pm.
    They lock the building at 6 pm on Saturday and the birds must stay cooped in.

Sunday - Building opens 6 am - Champs of Show awarded and birds dismissed at 12 noon.

Entry Fee is $3.50 per entry, DOUBLE COOP is $7.00 No double coops for bantams. Count trios as 3 entries.

No birds will be cooped before 11:00AM on Friday, November 9. All birds must be cooped in before 9:00 AM on Saturday, November 10. No birds will be released before the end of the show on Sunday, November 11

Mail entries to Eric Markley P.O. Box 2407, Cridersville, Ohio 45806 his email addy is [email protected] if you have any questions you can email for a catalog too. They should be mailed early october.

All recognized and non-standard varieties of large fowl, bantams and waterfowl are accepted in the show.

Make checks payable to Ohio Poultry Breeders Association. Entries close Oct 15, 2007.

Be sure to state on your entry whether Large fowl, Bantams, S.C., R.C., Bearded or non Bearded, etc.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    " Entries close Oct 15, 2007."

Hi,
    Read all these instructions on the site, figured since they were for 2007.........[​IMG] maybe something isn't right....

judging starts at 9 , so you have to run around and hope you find your coop?
    Class?
    Seems a real mess for newbies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by