Ohio Newbies

wingdwolf56

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2016
Newcomerstown, Ohio
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are new to raising chickens, and although I've already posted a couple things here, I though I should post an introduction.
We live in Ohio on 12 acres of land that we built our retirement home on last year. We have always wanted to homestead/ farm and are now beginning that journey. Our first venture was to get chickens! We have four, 40 week old, Golden Comets that we bought about a month ago. All four girls lay one egg each everyday. I built the coop they are in. It is a 4x4 coop on top of a 4x8x3 high run. I have just recently added a 10x20 foot pen so they can have additional space to scratch and dig. I am glad I built the pen because of all the craters they've dug in both the run and the pen area. Our four ladies wouldn't have much to do with us when we first got them, but now, they allow us to pick the up. I think their addiction to meal worms have helped them accept us. I have also been growing our own meal worms as the store bought meal worms are ridiculously expensive.
We also have three dogs. Two dachshunds and a 6 month old Border Collie that we rescued from an Amish family. Hopefully, next year, we will a few sheep to the family and the Border Collie can earn her keep.We chose sheep because, well, I don't like goats and being from a Greek heritage, I've eaten lamb all my life.
I found BYC last year when we first started thinking about raising chickens. Reading many of the posts helped me to decide to build my own coop rather than buy. The info here also provides ideas on do-it-your-self ways to care for the chickens. My next search inquiry will be to find ways to make our own chicken feed. We look forward to many years of membership at BYC!!

Welcome to Backyard chickens - sounds like you are enjoying your retirement. There have been many articles on making your own feed as well as the fermented feed process.

You can probably find them by using the search box. I am not the least techy so I use the search box often. It hasn't failed me yet.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your homesteading! Its good to hear that your flock is doing well and earning their keep.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens!! Sounds like homestead life suits you well, I am glad you are enjoying it. Thank you for joining us, and I hope you enjoy BYC and all it has to offer!

Back
Top Bottom