1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ohioans--Please be aware of HB 446

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Dec 3, 2008.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
  2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

YIKES!!! I live on a dead end road, at least a mile and a half from anyone else, with no way for my chickens to reach any other houses... are they NUTS!!!

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Thanks, I will call. How much control do they want? There are so many laws and rules. How is a person to know all of them? Is there ever going to be an end to all of this control? They have more control over your home than you do. DeeJay

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You folks might also be concerned about the part of this bill that would make it illegal for dog owners to do their own rabies vaccinations. The bill would make it mandatory to have rabies vaccinations done by a veterinarian.

I've done my own vaccinations forever--my vet charges $40/dog just for walking them in the door, and then upcharges the vaccines. Meanwhile, I just go to PBS Livestock Supply and get them what they need. No special training is needed to give vaccinations.

Seems like the veterinarian lobby is getting strong.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point about the rabies shots, this 'could' make some people less likely to vaccinate if they can't get the vaccine easily. I'm not sure if supply catalogs etc will ship to addresses where it is illegal. Is that a problem? I have a vet who will supply me normally, cause she knows I'm capable, but f it's against the law, I hate to put her in a bad position legally.

6. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Don't get too upset about this proposal. It's going to be impossible to enforce. Where would they put all the animals that get picked up? Instead of a "dog pound" they'd have to come up with "goat pounds", "chicken pounds", "sheep pounds", etc. You get the idea.

I think it's cute when legislators waste our tax dollars trying to pass yet even more unenforcable laws. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

the bill is now dead

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I actually think that rabies should be given by a veterinarian, given all the dog bites there are. That give-at-home cheap rabies shot can end up getting very expensive, if your dog bites someone and the dog has to be quarantined for 2 weeks at your expense. Rabies is a problem, at least here in Florida, and its very important when dog bites are involved to have a paper trail for Rabies vaccine. That being said, our local hardware/feed stores has vet clinics once a month where you can bring your pets to get a Rabies shot, certificate, and tag for $5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by